This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1413 / 51°8'28"N
Longitude: 0.0288 / 0°1'43"E
OS Eastings: 542020
OS Northings: 139958
OS Grid: TQ420399
Mapcode National: GBR LN4.84B
Mapcode Global: VHHQ8.GK2Y
Entry Name: Old Surrey Hall
Listing Date: 9 March 1982
Last Amended: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029883
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287450
Location: Dormansland, Tandridge, Surrey, RH19
Civil Parish: Dormansland
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Dormansland St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 43NW LINGFIELD C.P. HOLLOW LANE
13/210 Old Surrey Hall
(formerly listed as Old Surrey
9/3/82 Hall (Great Hall range only))
Country house. C15 hall with additions of 1922-4 and later by George Crawley.
Extended to south in 1937 by Walter Godfrey. Old hall of close studded timber
framing with herringbone brick infill on stone plinth. Horsham slab roof with
sprocketed eaves jettied on curved brackets. Extensions to ends and across
front in similar materials, timber framed on stone plinth with plastered infill,
Horsham slab roofs. Southern ballroom extension in dressed stone with plain
Original Hall across east side of courtyard with projecting end extensions to
north and south. Screen range across west,open on ground floor with stone
extensions at right angles to main courtyard on south side. Hall: Two storeys,
three framed bays with end stacks, offset. Square bay to southernmost bay on
both east and west sides with gable over decorated with trefoil carved barge boards.
4 trefoil light window to right on courtyard side; mullion and transomed window
to first floor left under quatrefoil band. Arched ribbed doors in projecting stone
surrounds placed diagonally on re-entrant angles at either end of Hall. Southern
range courtyard facade has 3 gables at eaves height with casement fenestration, 2
on courtyard front of north range. Screen range across front open on ground floor
with central bay higher. Further doors at ends of ground floor corridor. Jettied
gabled bays to either end of screen range with ballroom extension to right
containing deep recessed round arched windows. Hopper heads marked "IA & MA 1937"
recording the Anderson Family who commissioned the work.
Interior:- Hall: Arched four centred roof trusses, moulded and with moulded
beams; curved scissor rafters over. Octagonal arrangement to centre of roof
possibly originally intended for lantern. Pattern of roofing similar to Crowhurst
Place nearby although in a single curve. Modern wainscot and carved screen.
Original door by window bay, service doors survive in passage. Inscription on
post in Great Hall records - restoration by George Abraham Crawley in 1922-4.
VCH: Vol. IV, pp 306, 400
PEVSNER: Buildings of England (Surrey) (1971) p. 596
GEORGE ABRAHAM CRAWLEY: A Memoir
Listing NGR: TQ4202039958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings