History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Guildhall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Framlingham, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2219 / 52°13'18"N

Longitude: 1.3437 / 1°20'37"E

OS Eastings: 628483

OS Northings: 263460

OS Grid: TM284634

Mapcode National: GBR WNN.QJY

Mapcode Global: VHLB4.7FR0

Entry Name: The Guildhall

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 4 July 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286388

Location: Framlingham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Framlingham

Built-Up Area: Framlingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Framlingham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Framlingham

Listing Text

In the entry for:

TM 26 SE FRAMLINGHAM MARKET HILL

4/110 No. 34 (The Mansion House)

25.10.51

GV II*

The address shall be amended to read: MARKET HILL

No. 34 (The Guildhall)

------------------------------------

TM 26 SE FRAMLINGHAM MARKET HILL

4/110 No.34 (The Mansion House)
25.10.51

GV II*

House, now offices and shop premises. Late C16 core; built on the site of the
hall of the Guild of St. Mary by Simon Pulham, who acquired the site with the
old building on it in 1564. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed; faced in
red mathematical tiles; plaintiled roof. 9 bays: 3:3:3, with the centre
breaking forward slightly. Parapet, with sections of turned balusters in
front of the dormer windows and the central break, and a plastered band below.
3 dormers with small-paned sash windows and moulded pediments, the 2 outer
triangular, the central segmental. 7 large-paned sash windows in flush frames
to the first floor with gauged brick heads and keystones. To each side of the
central break a blank window with ornate surround: enriched eared architrave
and open triangular pediment. On the ground floor, the sash windows have been
replaced along the western 2/3rd of the front by 2 mid-C19 shop entrances and
3 large canted shop windows which project from the face of the building. The
eastern 1/3rd of the front (separately occupied by Messrs Turner & Ellerby),
has an entrance door up steps, and brickwork refacing to the ground floor.
This is the only accessible part of the building, the remainder being
unoccupied. It contains a small room on the ground floor, with raised fielded
panelling. A dog-leg stair has a plain handrail and metal twist balusters.
On the first floor, a fine panelled room in the rear wing with double
bolection-moulded panels and window-shutters. In the bottom of the shutters
are 2 secret drawers. The roof over the rear range has side purlins; the
remainder plastered. In the panelled ground-floor room and the room above it
are semi-domed and semi-circular recessed cupboards set into the walls, one
made to revolve, and both with painted decoration and figures.


Listing NGR: TM2848363460

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.