History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Witnesham Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Witnesham, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1128 / 52°6'46"N

Longitude: 1.1782 / 1°10'41"E

OS Eastings: 617714

OS Northings: 250820

OS Grid: TM177508

Mapcode National: GBR VNG.JPH

Mapcode Global: VHLBM.C5R4

Plus Code: 9F43457H+47

Entry Name: Witnesham Hall

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030518

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286000

Location: Witnesham, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Witnesham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Witnesham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in



1/38 Witnesham Hall


Former manor house, occupied as 2 dwellings. Mid C16 with alterations
probably c.1614 for William Meadowe; extended later C17, and remodelled c.1842
for D.C. Meadows. Originally of 3-cell cross-passage entrance plan. 2
storeys and attics. Timber-framed, encased in red brick c.1842 (much rear
walling retains earlier plasterwork). String course at 1st floor level and
another below ground floor windows. Pilaster-buttresses at corners with ball-
finials. Embattled parapets incorporating dormers with Flemish gables.
Plaintiled roofs with groups of 2 and 3 octagonal chimneys on moulded bases;
mainly internal and of 1842, but a complete C17 stack is at the left hand
gable. Hood-moulded windows with splayed reveals and wood-mullioned and
transomed casements; a 2-storey splayed bay of similar design. Fine 3-storey
entrance porch of c.1614, in red brick, at cross-passage entrance of earlier
house; doorway with imposts and semi-circular head. In the pediment above is
a limestone shield with the vulning pelicans of the Meadowe family. 3 tiers
of brick pilasters capped by ball finials. 3-light mullioned window with
pediment above, and another at attic level. Flemish gable bearing a C19
weathervane. Inner doorway with original plank door and C18 fanlight. In the
cross-passage is a mid C16 plank and muntin screen. In the parlour is an
arched plastered fireplace with fine carved surround and overmantel. The
staircase wing, added c.1600, has balustrading with carved splat-balusters;
original ovolo-moulded mullioned windows with leaded glazing. In a later C17
rear wing is another fine carved fireplace surround. Said to be the
birthplace in 1759 of William Kirby, entomologist.

Listing NGR: TM1771450820

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.