History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swefling, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.2228 / 52°13'22"N

Longitude: 1.4354 / 1°26'7"E

OS Eastings: 634734

OS Northings: 263849

OS Grid: TM347638

Mapcode National: GBR WNS.PQ3

Mapcode Global: VHM7M.TDPC

Plus Code: 9F436CFP+44

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 21 December 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1030766

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285359

Location: Swefling, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Swefling

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Sweffling St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in



7/121 Church of St Mary

7.12.66 II*

Parish church. Medieval; restored 1832 and late C19. Nave, chancel, west tower,
south porch, north vestry (built originally as a schoolroom). Flint rubble, with
some coursed work to nave and chancel; nave heightened in red brick; stone dressings;
slated roof to nave, plaintiled roof to chancel. C15 tower: 3-stage diagonal
buttresses to the west face and flat parapet, both with flushwork decoration;
restored 2-light west window, 2-light bell chamber openings, the tracery missing on
the west and north openings. Late C12 nave,heightened and re-fenestrated in C15:
2-light windows, 3 to south and 2 to north. Fine C15 porch: knapped flint with
panelled flushwork to the plinth and lower facade; moulded entrance arch with carved
spandrels and 3 empty canopied niches above; stone parapet enriched with flushwork;
original side openings. Late C12 nave doorway: one order of shafting, capitals with
upright leaves and semi-circular roll-moulded arch. Early C14 chancel with renewed
lancet windows to north and south, a C19 Priest's doorway and a renewed 3-light
east window with intersecting tracery. The fabric of the east chancel wall contains
2 former windows of C12: these may have been taken from the nave. Chancel roof
replaced 1832; nave roof plastered over. C13 Purbeck marble font bowl on modern
base; cinquefoil-headed piscina in south santuary. Royal Arms of Anne on north
nave wall; below are painted copies of the Lord's Prayer, Commandments and Creed.
Graded II* for medieval fabric.

Listing NGR: TM3473463849

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.