This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0024 / 52°0'8"N
Longitude: 1.3397 / 1°20'22"E
OS Eastings: 629331
OS Northings: 239043
OS Grid: TM293390
Mapcode National: GBR WRC.HHK
Mapcode Global: VHLC3.5XLT
Entry Name: Church of St Ethelbert
Listing Date: 16 March 1966
Last Amended: 16 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1030914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284984
Location: Falkenham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP10
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Falkenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Falkenham
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 2E NE FALKENHAM FALKENHAM ROAD (track off
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT
Parish Church. C15 tower, C14 nave restored early C19 together with south porch
which still retains its original stone quoins and most of its moulded C14
entrance arch; porch converted to vestry late C19. Late C19 semi-octagonal
brick apse added to south end of nave. Former chancel demolished C17 or C18.
Plain tiled roof with brick facing and stone dressings. 3 stage, battlemented
tower in random flint, flushwork and string courses at each stage, diagonal
buttresses to west front, angled buttresses to east; west door has pointed,
moulded arch studded with fleurons, and surmounted with shields representing
the Earl of Warwick and the Mowbray family 1428-1471. Above west doorway is a
C19 window in decorated style; belfry has restored C19 louvred windows. The
nave walls are probably of septaria and encased in gault brick. The interior
has a restored C14 single-hammer beam and arched braced roof with angels to
bases of wall posts and the hammer beams end with crowned figures holding
shields. C15 font with octagonal bowl and eight panels carved with emblems of
the four Evangelists alternating with angels and other figures bearing shields.
The apse has a reredos with carved centre piece which was once the front of a
chest. Tower contains 4 bells, 2 cast by T. Darbie of Ipswich in 1666 and 2 by
T. Gardiner of Sudbury in 1728. Graded II* for tower.
Listing NGR: TM2933139043
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings