History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nowton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nowton, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.211 / 52°12'39"N

Longitude: 0.7224 / 0°43'20"E

OS Eastings: 586101

OS Northings: 260464

OS Grid: TL861604

Mapcode National: GBR QFD.9H5

Mapcode Global: VHKDB.GPSF

Entry Name: Nowton Hall

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031160

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284443

Location: Nowton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Nowton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Nowton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-


Nowton Hall


The grade shall be amended to read II * (star)



4/22 Nowton Hall

Former farmhouse. Dated 1595 on chimney-stack, with the initials A.P. for
Anthony Payne (d.1606): an earlier C16 fragment remains, and there are
additions of the C18 and C19. 2 storeys and attics: 3-cell form to main
range. Timber-framed; jettied along the main front: ground storey faced in
colourwashed brick, upper storey rendered. C20 plaintiles. An internal
chimney-stack has 4 octagonal shafts with attached heads and moulded bases; on
the square base below is a large plaster panel with an unusual raised
fishscale decoration surmounted by the date and initials. Another internal
stack, further west, has a plain red brick shaft. Small-paned sash windows
and 2 canted bays to the ground storey; tripartite small-paned sash windows to
the upper storey. An off-centre early C20 half-glazed door set into a late
C18 surround with eared architrave and rectangular traceried fanlight. Much
of the framing is exposed inside. At the west end of the main range are the
remains of an early C16 cross-wing, now re-roofed in line with the rest of the
range, with a later chimney-stack on its east side. This part has tension
bracing to one end wall, and on the west side a further half-bay which may be
the truncated section of an earlier hall range. The remainder of the main
range relates to the date of 1595 on the chimney-stack: 5 bays, including a
chimney-bay, with an original stair-wing behind it which contains an
apparently resited stair with a plain handrail to the first floor; the upper
flight leading to the attics may be a later date. A large open fireplace with
timber lintel to the east of the main stack. Good close-studding with a
middle rail to the whole range; ovolo-moulded main beams to ground and first
floor ceilings, and a number of ovolo-moulded mullioned windows, now blocked,
but with mullions in situ. The roof has clasped purlins, large principal
rafters and the remnants of windbraces, but the attics, which are original,
are mainly plastered. The house stands on the remains of a roughly E-shaped
moated site. Prior to the Dissolution, the manor belonged to the Benedictine
Abbey of St. Edmundsbury.

Listing NGR: TL8610160464

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.