History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Royal George Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Barningham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3539 / 52°21'14"N

Longitude: 0.889 / 0°53'20"E

OS Eastings: 596841

OS Northings: 276799

OS Grid: TL968767

Mapcode National: GBR SGJ.HKM

Mapcode Global: VHKCV.C39B

Entry Name: The Royal George Public House

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284360

Location: Barningham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Barningham

Built-Up Area: Barningham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Barningham St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coney Weston

Listing Text


1/7 The Royal George Public
14.7.55 House


Public house. C15 core, with early C17 and subsequent alterations and
additions. One-and-a-half storeys; L-shaped form. Timber-framed and
plastered with thatched roof, half-hipped at the south end, and with a lower
section on the north. An internal chimney-stack with rendered shaft set near
the south end of the front range (cf. Church Farmhouse). Random fenestration:
3-light and 2-light casement windows and one eyebrow dormer. 2 plain doors,
one half-glazed. The interior on the ground storey to the north of the
chimney-stack has been made into one large L-shaped room. The 2 bays next to
the stack have a ceiling with chamfered and stopped main beam and joists
inserted into the open hall in the early C17. The northern end, corresponding
to the section with lower roofline, is an extension of circa 1700, with the
ceiling at a different level, and joists set on edge. The chimney-stack
appears to have been inserted into the original cross-entry.

Listing NGR: TL9684176799

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.