This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3002 / 52°18'0"N
Longitude: 0.6874 / 0°41'14"E
OS Eastings: 583341
OS Northings: 270298
OS Grid: TL833702
Mapcode National: GBR QD6.LMP
Mapcode Global: VHJGG.VGS0
Plus Code: 9F428M2P+3X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031237
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284212
Location: Culford, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP28
District: West Suffolk
Civil Parish: Culford
Built-Up Area: Culford
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Culford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/06/2018
TL 87 SW
Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Dated 1856 on south porch. Rebuilt in early English style by W.G.Habershon for the Rev. E.R. Benyon, rector and lord of the manor. The tower of the earlier church was heightened and encased in flint and Bath stone to match the rest of the church. The north aisle was added in 1908.
Random kidney flint, with Bath stone quions and dressings and plaintiled roofs. Two-light windows to nave with cusped plate-tracery, and similar single-light windows to chancel. A three-light east window. The south porch has a steeply-pitched plaintiled roof. The tower is of four stages: diagonal buttresses faced with panels of black knapped flint, embattled parapet with flushwork panels, heavy, ornate two-light windows to top stage. A vestry to the north of the chancel.
The interior contains many monuments from the older church: to members of the Bacon family, most important to Jane Bacon, 1654, a large standing wall monument including her husband and children: to various Cornwallises: and, in the north aisle, a large recumbent effigy of Countess Cadogan (d.1907) in white marble in a vaulted recess with a cross, putti and large vine-trails on the back wall. Below the church, vaults of the Cornwallis and Cadogan families.
Listing NGR: TL8334170298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings