This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3017 / 52°18'6"N
Longitude: 0.7196 / 0°43'10"E
OS Eastings: 585525
OS Northings: 270546
OS Grid: TL855705
Mapcode National: GBR QD7.NQF
Mapcode Global: VHKCY.FD8W
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031246
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284235
Location: Ingham, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Ingham
Built-Up Area: Ingham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ingham St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 87 SE INGHAM THE STREET (EAST SIDE)
2/26 Church of St. Bartholomew
Parish church of C14 and earlier origin, much restored in 1861. Flint, with
freestone dressings, and plaintiled roofs with diaper patterns in black tiles.
The west tower, nave and south porch are in black knapped random flint, with a
very small admixture of other stone. Tower in 4 stages on a base of narrow
flushwork panels with .trefoil heads. A high, plain embattled parapet and
stone-faced diagonal buttresses. A simple early C14 west doorway, with a large
3-light window with reticulated tracery above, and 4 2-light windows with
cusped plate-tracery to top stage. The south porch was rebuilt as part of the
extensive restoration of the church by the Rev. E.R. Benyon in 1861 and is used
as a vestry. Its 2 windows are filled with fragments of medieval stained -
glass. All other windows in the building have clear glass. The C14 south
doorway, damaged, has one order of nook shafts. The nave has 2-tier stone-faced
buttresses, adn 2 3-light windows in Decorated style to each wall. Wide
chancel, rebuilt in C19: faced in kidney flints, 2-light windows, angle
buttresses: 5-light east window in Perpendicular style. Inside, the interior of
the tower forms part of the nave, with a very high arch replacing the internal
wall. Nave roof boarded, with embattled cornice. C19 benches and pulpit, 2
doors to the rood stair in the north east corner, with a wide lodge, jutting
out from the chancel arch in front of the upper door, which gave access to the
rood loft. High C19 replaced chancel arch. 3-bay arch-braced collar roof, with
carved windbraces to the purlins which may come from an earlier roof. Below at
the west end of the nave, a plain square late C12 font with unusual moulded
bases to the angles, resembling a waterleaf form. Four C15 poppyhead bench ends
survive. Although much restored in 1861, the church was clearly not rebuilt
entirely at that time, as stated e.g. by Pevsner.
Listing NGR: TL8552570546
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings