This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4816 / 51°28'53"N
Longitude: -0.1197 / 0°7'11"W
OS Eastings: 530661
OS Northings: 177521
OS Grid: TQ306775
Mapcode National: GBR KR.82
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.W122
Entry Name: Calvary Church
Listing Date: 20 January 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031564
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469027
Location: Lambeth, London, SW8
Electoral Ward/Division: Oval
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: South Lambeth St Anne and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3077 FENTIMAN ROAD, SW8
963/7/10042 Calvary Church (Nos. 100-102)
Calvary Church, formerly Methodist Church an Sunday School. 1900-1901, architects George and Reginald Baines. Perpendicular style in red brick with stone dressings and slate roof Church has five bay nave, lower chancel, transepts, south west tower and splayed west porch. South west tower of three stages with crenellated battlements with gargoyles, traceried windows and wooden shutters to bellcote and horizontal bands. Lowest stage has lancet and arched entrance set in comer. West end has massive traceried window with trefoi1s and pinnacles. West porch is splayed at the corners and has two arched entrances flanked by buttresses. Cinquefoil-headed lights to nave divided by buttresses and transepts have two large traceried windows with roundel with quatrefoil above. Southeast gable with circular window and north east projection to chancel with a lancet window, crenellated parapet and pyramidal roof with finial. Attached to north west is former Sunday School in matching stlyle and materials. Two storeys with gable on right hand side with traceried window and elaborate ogee-arched doorcase flanked by sidelights and projecting gable to left with triple trefoil window on first floor and four-light bay on ground floor. Church has ceiling of arch-braced type on stone corbels with ornamental square grilles, west gallery with trefoil design, elaborate carved wooden reredos with cinquefoil motifs, large fretted stone pulpit, curved wood and metal altar rails, original wooden pews and stained glass to windows and doors with unusual sunflower motifs. Former Sunday School has similar arch-braced roof: stained glass with tulip or lily design and scrolled metalwork balcony. Staircase has iron stick balusters and elaborate column newel. First floor room has original cast iron fireplace with four thin pilasters and panels of floral designs.
[See BOE London 2: South p340.Survey of London Vol XXVI p41.]
Listing NGR: TQ3066177521
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings