This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.408 / 52°24'28"N
Longitude: -1.5104 / 1°30'37"W
OS Eastings: 433403
OS Northings: 279003
OS Grid: SP334790
Mapcode National: GBR HFM.6T
Mapcode Global: VHBWY.RQWW
Entry Name: Lady Godiva Statue
Listing Date: 15 April 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469098
Location: Coventry, CV1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael's
Built-Up Area: Coventry
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Coventry Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP 3379 SW COVENTRY BROADGATE
833/4/10097 Lady Godiva statue
Equestrian figure of Lady Godiva. 1949 by Sir Williain Reid Dick, sculptor, at the expense of William Bassett-Green. Bronze statue on Portland stone base. Rectangular plinth with overhanging cavetto moulding, a podium with cavetto and roll mouldings at the base and battered sides. The design of the base is reminiscent of the work of Sir Edwin Lutyens, who had died in 1944 but with whom Dick had frequently worked. The statue symbolised the regeneration of Coventry after its bombing and was donated to boost morale at a time when rebuilding work was delayed by shortages. It was intended as the focal point of Broadgate, and originally faced the clock tower of Broadgate House where it could be seen by 'Peeping Tom'. Lady Godiva was turned through ninety degrees in 1990, to face the entrance to the Upper Precinct and to lie on axis between the Lower Precinct and Cathedral.
Listing NGR: SP3340379003
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.