History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Denston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Denston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.1423 / 52°8'32"N

Longitude: 0.5687 / 0°34'7"E

OS Eastings: 575869

OS Northings: 252450

OS Grid: TL758524

Mapcode National: GBR PDN.LM2

Mapcode Global: VHJH5.TF00

Entry Name: Denston Hall

Listing Date: 19 December 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031702

English Heritage Legacy ID: 283085

Location: Denston, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Denston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Denston St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

1. DENSTON Denston Hall
TL 75 SE 7/177 19.12.61.
A fine early C18 house with a long range of C16 buildings at the rear, the remains
of an early C16 house which is known to have stood on the site. The Hall has
an interesting history. In 1564 Henry Cheyney made over the manor of Denston
to William Burd without licence to alienate from the crown. Estate was therefore
forfeited in 1565 but later returned. William Burd died in 1591, and by 1602
the estate had passed to his son, but was again seized by the crown, for debt
and leased to Sir John Robinson. In 1617 it was bought by William Robinson,
in whose family it stayed until the early part of the C19. The front part of
the Hall is early C18, red brick and blue brick headers, with a parapet and a
raised brick band. 2 storeys and attics. 2:5:2 window range on the east front,
3 window range on the inner faces of the wings (some blocked), and 4 window range
on the south front. The windows are double-hung sashes with glazing bars in
flush cased frames. A raised brick band runs between the storeys. A central
Ionic porch projects on the front with fluted columns and a cornice. Roof slate,
mansard, with 3 pedimented dormers on the main front, the centre dormer has a
segmental pediment. The interior has a good circular hall with rooms to the
left and right of it, circa 1770. The left hand room opens on to the staircase
with a screen of 2 columns. The ceilings have Adam style ornamentation. The
staircase has early C18 twisted balusters. At the rear of the C18 house there
is a long range of C16 red brick buildings, part of the original house. It has
brick mullioned windows with Tudor arches and brick hood moulds, also Tudor arched
doorways with boarded doors with fillets. At the south end there is a fine room
with moulded beam and joist ceiling with an embattled frieze and carved spandrels
to the arched braced tie beams. There are some linenfold panels with heads in
roundels. The room may have been used as a chapel. Roof tiled, with a chimney
stack with 2 diagonally set shafts.

Listing NGR: TL7586952450

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.