This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3924 / 51°23'32"N
Longitude: -0.3159 / 0°18'57"W
OS Eastings: 517266
OS Northings: 167271
OS Grid: TQ172672
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.308
Mapcode Global: VHGRG.G8TG
Entry Name: Former Lambeth Waterworks uncovered coalstore including tower and attached tunnels
Listing Date: 21 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031864
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489758
Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT6
District: Kingston upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Long Ditton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Surbiton St Andrew and St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/03/2018
Seething Wells Halls of Residence
Former Lambeth Waterworks uncovered coalstore including tower and attached tunnels,
(Formerly listed as Lambeth uncovered coalstore including tower and attached tunnels, Seething Wells, PORTSMOUTH ROAD)
Uncovered coal store with tower and attached underground tunnels. Built in 1851-2, designed by James Simpson for the Lambeth Waterworks in Romanesque style. Some minor C20 alterations.
This comprises a roughly rectangular unroofed enclosure with an hydraulic accumulator tower at the north west end and attached tunnels. Built of stock brick with walls about 12 feet high with stone coping. North west side centre has an ornamental square tower of two stages with crenellated parapet, blank panels to the upper stage similar panel containing imitation arrowslit windows and Romanesque style round-headed arches to the lower stage. To the left is a panel with two round-headed arches. To the right is a similar panel but replaced with a flat arch with double doors. The sides have three large panels with stepped cornice. To the rear are two inserted C20 flat arches with vertical shuttered doors.
HISTORY: This structure was capable of storing 1500 tons of coal. It has underground tunnels which connected with a track underneath the Portsmouth Road to a crane by a riverside wharf which brought the coal by river.
In 1995 the building became part of a hall of residence complex to Kingston University.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings