History in Structure

The Coach House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bold, St. Helens

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.4183 / 53°25'5"N

Longitude: -2.688 / 2°41'16"W

OS Eastings: 354373

OS Northings: 391495

OS Grid: SJ543914

Mapcode National: GBR 9XNX.VC

Mapcode Global: WH87C.PB6T

Plus Code: 9C5VC896+8R

Entry Name: The Coach House

Listing Date: 2 September 2002

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031889

English Heritage Legacy ID: 489783

ID on this website: 101031889

Location: St. Helens, Merseyside, WA9

County: St. Helens

Civil Parish: Bold

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Farnworth St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Tagged with: Appendage

Find accommodation in
Clock Face


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/03/2020


The Coach House

(Formerly listed as Farm outbuilding, formerly stables, at former Bold Hall Estate, BOLD)



Farm outbuilding, formerly stables to Bold Hall (now demolished). Disused at time of inspection (July 2002). Early-mid C18, with late C19 and C20 alterations. Attributed to Giacomo Leoni, architect, and built as part of the estate of Bold Hall, built for John Bold, the Member of Parliament for Wigan in 1730. Ashlar sandstone and red brick with ashlar detailing and dressings, coped gables and a slated roof.

PLAN: Linear arrangement, and possibly formerly part of a larger complex, of which the associated Home Farmhouse (q.v.) was a planned component.

EXTERIOR: Symmetrical single storey east elevation of eight bays rising from an ashlar plinth. The elevation is faced in massive ashlar masonry with channelled rustication. Pedimented central entrance of three bays, with Doric pilasters flanking the entrance doorway and glazing bar sash windows either side. Flanking three-bay ranges with tall windows below channelled heads, the openings now mainly blocked or infilled. Shallow ashlar parapet and the stub of a single ridge chimney, together with C20 ventilators. North and south ends in red brick with ashlar pedimented gables and quoins. Central window openings within quoined surrounds, that to the north gable blocked, that to the south adapted below channelled head to form wide double doorway with C20 girder as lintel. West elevation with brick facings and ashlar dressings. Off-centre right is a slightly advanced carriage entrance with quoined corners and shallow arched head. Either side of the entrance are two stable doorways with overlights and associated window openings, all with quoined surrounds and channelled lintels with integral keystones. To the extreme left is an inserted or altered opening, now with top-hung boarded doors. Above three of the doorheads are circular overloft or taking-in openings with ashlar surrounds.

INTERIOR: Adapted to form multi-purpose farm building, but with three former hearths and flagged and setted standings to the south end. The building is lofted throughout, the boarded floors carried on heavy timber cross beams. Common rafter roof with collars.

Forms a group with Home Farmhouse (q.v.)

HISTORY: Peter Bold, the Member of Parliament for Wigan, developed the Bold Hall Estate in the early C18. Bold commissioned the Venetian architect, Giacomo Leoni, who was working in Cheshire at Lyme Park in the late 1720's, to design a new mansion and supporting buildings. The mansion was a nine-bay, three-storeyed, structure with an attached Corinthian portico and a stone-faced ground storey in channelled rusticated masonry. It was demolished c.1900. The east elevation of the stable range replicates in miniature form the architectural detail of the former hall's principal elevation. The park to the hall was the second largest in South Lancashire. The principal elevations of both the stables and the present Home Farmhouse face in the direction of the site of the former hall.

The former stable range to Bold Hall and the associated dwelling house, now the Home Farmhouse are the principal surviving elements of the Bold Hall Estate, developed in the early-mid C18 to serve Bold Hall, designed by the notable Venetian architect, Giacomo Leoni c.1730, and demolished c.1900.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.