This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1167 / 52°7'0"N
Longitude: -2.4687 / 2°28'7"W
OS Eastings: 367999
OS Northings: 246587
OS Grid: SO679465
Mapcode National: GBR FX.8VL6
Mapcode Global: VH85M.5275
Plus Code: 9C4V4G8J+MG
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 4 September 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031894
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489788
Location: Bishop's Frome, County of Herefordshire, HR8
Civil Parish: Bishop's Frome
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bishops Frome
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/0/10010 Church of St Matthew
Anglican church. 1877, by F R Kempson. Coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain tile roof, slate to porch; stone copings with kneelers. Single-cell nave with S porch; apsidal chancel with N vestry. Early Pointed style. Hood moulds with head stops over all openings. Apsidal chancel has four trefoil-headed lancets, which are set above roll-moulded string. Vestry has sexfoil round window above plank door with strap hinges in pointed chamfered arch; heating vestry, and set in E wall of nave, is an ashlar stack. Two-bay nave has plate tracery 2-light windows; S porch has trefoil lights set in flank walls, and buttresses flanking gable with cross at apex and pointed chamfered arch to doorway; moulded arch to inner plank door with strap hinges. W wall has cinquefoil round window above two tall trefoil-headed lancets. Belfry has columns with foliate capitals to two pointed moulded arches.
Interior: Stained pine pews and choir stalls. Boarded ceilings formed to broad pointed arch with ribs. Rerearches to chancel windows, and label moulds with head stops over trefoil-headed piscina, all set above roll-moulded string with foliate stops, broken for pointed chamfered arch to vestry. Hood moulds with head stops over pointed moulded chancel arch, with inner arch set on short marble column with deep foliate capitals and springers. Stone pulpit with punched panelwork and relief frieze. Octagonal stone font has four clustered Early English columns.
A fine example of a small rural church by a prolific Hereford-based architect.
Other nearby listed buildings