This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4409 / 52°26'27"N
Longitude: 1.5345 / 1°32'4"E
OS Eastings: 640315
OS Northings: 288429
OS Grid: TM403884
Mapcode National: GBR XMJ.YKR
Mapcode Global: VHM6J.KX24
Plus Code: 9F43CGRM+9Q
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282190
Location: Ringsfield, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR34
Civil Parish: Ringsfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ringsfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
RINGSFIELD CHURCH ROAD
TM 48 NW
5/39 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Medieval, considerably rebuilt by Butterfield 1883-4. Nave,
chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry and organ chamber. Flint
rubble with stone dressings, all plastered except for the tower and porch.
Continuous thatched roof. C15 square unbuttressed tower with original 2-light
west window; 2-light Y-traceried belfry openings. C17 stepped red brick
parapet with 2 tiers of flushwork panels and pierced obelisk pinnacles. Part
of the nave is C15 but the east end and the chancel are all of 1883-4.
Various small windows, largely of late C19. Crowstepped brick porch, probably
late C16 but much restored. Against the south chancel wall is a fine brick
aedicule, originally stuccoed, with pilasters and pediment: within is a semi-
circular headed niche containing a pedimented inscription to Nicholas Garneys
(1628) and Anne his wife, with a brass below; in the head of the arch is a
mermaid, the Garneys family crest. Attached to the north wall of the chancel,
in the angle with the organ chamber, is a monument to Caroline Murat, grand-
daughter of Napoleon's sister, erected 1902. Interior. C15 carved octagonal
font, the bowl panels depicting flowers, lions and angels bearing shields;
some traces of original colouring. Early C17 carved pulpit with backboard
(altered) and a tester supported by carved brackets; late C19 stone base.
Early C17 screen with a panelled dado and turned balusters and obelisks above.
Set of 28 nave benches, probably C17, with carved straight-topped ends. There
are various panels of C17 woodwork with painted inscriptions, said to be the
work of the Rev. Robert Shelford (d.1639).
Listing NGR: TM4031588429
Other nearby listed buildings