This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.368 / 52°22'4"N
Longitude: 1.4921 / 1°29'31"E
OS Eastings: 637832
OS Northings: 280175
OS Grid: TM378801
Mapcode National: GBR XNG.D2Y
Mapcode Global: VHM6W.TR62
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282092
Location: Spexhall, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19
Civil Parish: Spexhall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Spexhall St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 38 SE SPEXHALL CHURCH LANE
2/18 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C12, C15, C18, C19 and early C20. Random flint, with plaintiled
roofs. Nave, chancel, south porch, and round battlemented west tower which is
a rebuild of 1911 of the earlier tower, said to be Saxon, which fell in 1725.
The remainder of the church is basically Norman. Norman north doorway to nave
with simple, partly defaced, carving to the arch. Early C14 south doorway,
with multiple continuous mouldings, inside a porch rebuilt in 1733.
Perpendicular 2-light windows. The east wall was rebuilt in 1713 and has a
trellis pattern of red brick on flint, and 2 stepped diagonal buttresses, that
on the south-east dated June 18th, 1713. The 3-light east window with panel
tracery was inserted in 1876. Over the priest's door on the south side of the
chancel is a flying buttress added in 1888. Extensively restored interior of
1876: the roof, pews, tiles and plaster are all of that date. A holy water
stoup to each side of the south door. An octagonal C15 font with low base,
panelled shaft, and quatrefoils with shields round the bowl. Piscinae in the
nave and chancel have identical cinquefoil cusping to the heads and chamfered
jambs with broach stops. C15 heraldic glass in the north west window of the
nave. The doorway and part of the stairs to the rood are in the north wall of
the nave beside the panelled, but much restored, C17 pulpit. In front of the
nave benches, the remains of 2 C15 benches with poppyheads and the remains of
a further 4 pairs in the chancel. A section of Jacobean panelling against the
north wall of the chancel. The stained glass in the east window is a memorial
to Queen Victoria. On the south nave wall, brasses commemorating John and
Maria Browne and their family: 1591, 1593 and 1601.
Listing NGR: TM3783280175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings