History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Curacy

A Grade II Listed Building in Brome and Oakley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3444 / 52°20'39"N

Longitude: 1.1396 / 1°8'22"E

OS Eastings: 613949

OS Northings: 276457

OS Grid: TM139764

Mapcode National: GBR TJ6.T3T

Mapcode Global: VHL9F.PBSL

Entry Name: The Old Curacy

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280955

Location: Brome and Oakley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Brome and Oakley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brome St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 17 NW
The Old Curacy
House, at one time the rectory. C16 with C19 alterations and additions.
Timber framed and plastered with a thatched roof. 2 storeys and attic. 3-
cell form, originally with cross-entry. 3 windows, early C19 casements with
trefoil-cusped heads to the lights, the lower windows with sunk spandrels.
Small hoodmoulds. 4 additional single-light first floor windows with 2
centred arches and hoodmoulds. Lobby entrance: 4-centred arched doorway with
sunk spandrels; C19 6-panel raised and fielded door with arched head, the
central panels with square-leaded glazing. C20 open gabled porch. Internal
stack with C16-C17 shaft; against the left gable end an external stack set
forward of the ridge. In the hall is a moulded axial bridging beam with
barred stop-chamfer and chamfered joists; in the rear wall is the blocked
cross-entry doorway, with a flat head. In the parlour both bridging beam and
joists are moulded. In C19 the stack was tunnelled through and substantial
additions made at the rear, where there is a well stair with stick balusters
and carved tread-ends. First floor and roof not examined.

Listing NGR: TM1394976457

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.