This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2046 / 52°12'16"N
Longitude: 0.9527 / 0°57'9"E
OS Eastings: 601856
OS Northings: 260373
OS Grid: TM018603
Mapcode National: GBR SJC.MPT
Mapcode Global: VHKDG.GVHB
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280535
Location: Harleston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Harleston
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Harleston St Augustine of Canterbury
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
HARLESTON HAUGHLEY ROAD
TM 06 SW
4/53 Church of St. Augustine
Parish church, medieval with restoration of 1860. Nave and chancel. Flint
rubble with freestone quoins. Thatched roof; a parapet gable at the east end
and a timber bellcote with shingled pyramid roof of 1860 at west end. A small
Norman church with evidence for an apsidal east end before the chancel was
extended in C13. A plain C11 or C12 south doorway with chamfered imposts; the
north doorway was similar but has been blocked. A pointed lancet in north
wall of late C12/early C13. A C13 window in the chancel has a double splay.
A trefoil-headed chancel window of c.1300 has a pair of squinch arches over
the sedilia, and linked with it is a trefoil-headed piscina. Other windows in
east and south walls are C19, and the west wall was probably rebuilt in 1860.
The canted and plastered continuous roof over nave and chancel appears
medieval but may be a C19 renewal; there are two encased medieval tiebeams.
An unusually early rood screen of c.1330-50: turned baluster shafts, ogee-
headed lights with dagger tracery. Limestone font, the stem perhaps of
c.1300: octagonal with broach stops alternating with stops having sunk
cusping. (The bowl was renewed in C19).
Listing NGR: TM0185660373
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings