History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House Christian Rest Home

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bacton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2643 / 52°15'51"N

Longitude: 1.0026 / 1°0'9"E

OS Eastings: 604990

OS Northings: 267153

OS Grid: TM049671

Mapcode National: GBR SHV.28V

Mapcode Global: VHKD9.BCC0

Entry Name: Manor House Christian Rest Home

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032752

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280487

Location: Bacton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Bacton

Built-Up Area: Bacton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bacton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Cotton

Listing Text

BACTON CHURCH ROAD
TM 06 NW

1/5 Manor House Christian
Rest Home (formerly
29.7.55 listed as Manorhouse
Farmhouse)

- II*

Old peoples home, formerly manor house. Circa 1720-1730, for George Pretyman (died
1732). Red brick with burnt headers; a band at first storey incorporating moulded
keys above the centre of each window. Plain tiled roofs with hipped slightly set-
forward end bays. C19 internal chimneys of red brick and gabled C19 dormers with
sashes. Eaves cornice with wooden modillions. A central brick pediment with
dentils rising into the apex; in the tympanum is a coat of arms added in 1738 when
a Pretyman married Arabella Shelton, whose arms are quartered on the shield, with
Pretyman, Garneys and Pistor. The shield is surrounded by a cartouche and a garland
of fruit and flowers. Two storeys and attics. A pair of wings 2-windows wide,
are minimally set forward flanking a 5-window main range. Tall, narrow windows
with flat arches of finely-gauged brick and painted keystones; original flush frames
with mid C19 8-light sashes. 8-panel fielded door, architrave surround, fluted
Doric pilasters, console brackets, with cornice broken above, and a segmental
pedestal. Fine original internal features: a large panelled staircase hall, with
concave twisted balusters to the stairs. Several fully panelled rooms, with four
overmantel paintings all by T Bardwell in c1720-1730. One is of this house and
includes lower pavilions on each side (demolished in C19), garden walling and gate-
ways, all removed. Another painting is of Furness Abbey, another a scene from
Don Quixote and another of Susannah and the Elders. There are also original
pictorial tapestries. Rear ranges of late C19 and late C20.


Listing NGR: TM0499067153

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.