This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2915 / 52°17'29"N
Longitude: 1.3807 / 1°22'50"E
OS Eastings: 630644
OS Northings: 271308
OS Grid: TM306713
Mapcode National: GBR WMY.7X2
Mapcode Global: VHL9R.WN8Q
Entry Name: St Jacob's Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Last Amended: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280142
Location: Laxfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Laxfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Laxfield All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 37 SW
5/22 St. Jacob's Hall
- (formerly listed as St.
Farmhouse. A complex house, mainly of C15 and C16, with considerable later
alteration. Timber framed and plastered with a pantiled roof. 2 storeys and
attic. 4 windows, C18-C19 mullion and transom casements. 2 C19 doorways:
that to the right has fluted pilasters (the capitals enriched with a flower
motif) and a pediment containing a roundel depicting an animal. A similar
doorway to left but with plain pilasters and lions' heads as embellishments.
6-panel doors. Internal stack and gable stack to right, both with C19
dentilled caps. Medieval framing is visible in part of the rear wall, with 2
secondary mullioned windows; eaves raised at a later date. At the left are 2
bays of a former cross-wing which once extended further to the rear: heavy
framing with reversed bracing to the rear wall, cranked braces to the tie
beams and evidence for a diamond-mullioned window in a position which suggests
the cross-wing pre-dates the medieval range adjoining. Hall has a mutilated
embattled bridging beam. Fireplace lintol at service end inscribed 'N.
JACOB'. Parlour chamber has small remains of an ornamental plaster ceiling of
c.1600. This room has complete oak panelling, perhaps C19. Some re-used C17
panelling in hall chamber. The roof has been renewed, perhaps in late C18. A
fireplace between the hall and parlour was removed in C19 and replaced by a
Listing NGR: TM3064471308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings