This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3483 / 52°20'53"N
Longitude: 1.3214 / 1°19'16"E
OS Eastings: 626311
OS Northings: 277436
OS Grid: TM263774
Mapcode National: GBR WM2.QW9
Mapcode Global: VHL9J.V7FN
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 21 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032934
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279994
Location: Fressingfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Fressingfield
Built-Up Area: Fressingfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Fressingfield St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
FRESSINGFIELD LOW ROAD
TM 27 NE
- Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel. 1835, by George Spratt who became the first pastor. Red
brick, with a pilaster strip to each wall. Hipped slated roof. 2 storeys. A
very unusual plan in the form of an elongated hexagon. Inset sash windows
with glazing bars under flat brick arches. At narrow end to north a small C19
brick porch with mid C20 glazed doors; inside the porch a pair of C19 panelled.
doors. C19 single-storey vestry to south. Interior has a continuous
hexagonal gallery with plain front and pulpit opposite the entrance. Lower
seating probably renewed late C19; gallery seating original, with box pews at
north end and open-backed benches at the sides. Interior altered early 1980's
to form 3 Sunday School rooms. A smaller chapel of similar plan was built by
George Spratt at Friston in 1833. The shape which resembles a coffin, is said
to be an object lesson to the mortality of life.
Listing NGR: TM2631177436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings