This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.183 / 52°10'58"N
Longitude: 0.9439 / 0°56'38"E
OS Eastings: 601358
OS Northings: 257942
OS Grid: TM013579
Mapcode National: GBR SJQ.5GW
Mapcode Global: VHKDN.9DWD
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279887
Location: Great Finborough, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Great Finborough
Built-Up Area: Great Finborough
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Great Finborough St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
GREAT FINBOROUGH CHURCH ROAD
TM 05 NW
2/112 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church, 1874-77 by R.M. Phipson, on the site of the previous medieval
church and possibly reusing a little of its stonework. In the Decorated
style. Flint rubble; freestone dressings with much carved ornament.
Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch,
north transeptal chapel with vestry and organ chamber attached. The tower is
a very prominent feature; at the base is a richly moulded west doorway and
window; the belfry stage is octagonal with flying buttresses; a tall spire
with bands of pink and buff linestone. Good carved figures on the porch at
bases of gables and elsewhere on exterior. Arch-braced collar-beam roof with
kingposts. Complete original internal fittings. Glass by Clayton and Bell.
A number of good monuments have been transferred from the previous church,
most now in the chapel. Wall monument to Charlton Wollaston, d.1729, with a
put to unrolling a scroll. Other monuments to members of the Wollaston family,
1720, 1758, 1769, 1797. A large monument to Roger Pettiward, d.1833, by Sir
R. Westmacott with a large relief of the Good Samaritan. Five C17 and C18
marble slabs in the nave floor and six others in the tower. Fixed to the
tower wall are two C14 coped coffin slabs.
Listing NGR: TM0135857942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings