History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Creeting St. Mary, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1689 / 52°10'7"N

Longitude: 1.0604 / 1°3'37"E

OS Eastings: 609382

OS Northings: 256703

OS Grid: TM093567

Mapcode National: GBR TL6.YR5

Mapcode Global: VHLB5.BRF7

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033245

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279298

Location: Creeting St. Mary, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Creeting St. Mary

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Creeting St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 05 NE

All Saints Road (North Side)
Church of St. Mary


Parish church. Medieval; with much remodelling 1884-7, including rebuilding
of upper stage of tower and addition of north aisle in the Decorated style.
Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north aisle and vestry. Flint rubble
with freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables and stone
crosses. C12 south doorway with shafts, scalloped capitals and a lunette-
enriched arch. The chancel has work of c.1300: a pair of hood-moulded 2-light
windows and a simple cusped piscina. Large net-traceried C14 east window.
Good C15 south porch, the south face covered in trefoil-headed flushwork
panels; the doorway has triple attached shafts and the hoodmould springs from
angel corbels. Above is a niche, now bearing a C19 image. Complete coupled-
rafter roof with embattled cornice. The tower has a 2-light west window of
c.1400, with a stone panel bearing a cross above it; prominent C19 parapets
and gargoyles. An early C16 3-light south window in the nave. Fine C15
octagonal limestone font, with the Evangelists alternating with figures
bearing shields around the stem, angels beneath, and lions supporting the
stem. Original crocketed oak cover, with major C19 restoration. Wall
monument in the tower to Rear Admiral Samuel Uvedale (d.1808) and wife
Margaret (d.1814). Three C18 marble floor slabs in nave. Some late C19
stained glass by Kempe, and later Kempe and Tower.

Listing NGR: TM0938256703

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.