History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barham Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Barham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.1161 / 52°6'57"N

Longitude: 1.1274 / 1°7'38"E

OS Eastings: 614220

OS Northings: 251033

OS Grid: TM142510

Mapcode National: GBR TM2.9VX

Mapcode Global: VHLBL.H2DM

Entry Name: Barham Manor

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279203

Location: Barham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Barham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Claydon and Barham St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 15 SW
3/10 Barham Manor

House, formerly manor house. C.1600, with alterations of early C20. Two
storeys and attics. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan. Red brick in irregular
English bond, perhaps originally plastered. Crow-stepped parapet gables.
Plaintiled roofs with original chimneys of red brick; an axial stack between
hall and parlour has a square base and 4 octagonal flues with star-tops. At
the left-hand gable is a similar 2-flue stack; another similar surmounts the
crow-stepped gable of the original rear wing behind the parlour. C20 casement
dormers with gabled roofs. Mainly original mullioned and transomed windows of
plastered brick, simulating limestone, with hollow-chamfered mullions; of 10
lights at ground storey and 8 above, with C20 leaded casements. C20 single-
storey gabled entrance porch of red brick with boarded and battened door. At
1st floor level is a carved limestone coat of arms sunk within a moulded
border. In the parlour the ceiling joists are ovolo-moulded; other exposed
framing is plain. A number of small open fireplaces are original features,
with elliptical heads. The house was altered in early C20 and a wing was
added to rear left.

Listing NGR: TM1422051033

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.