This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1227 / 52°7'21"N
Longitude: 1.0737 / 1°4'25"E
OS Eastings: 610512
OS Northings: 251607
OS Grid: TM105516
Mapcode National: GBR TLT.VP8
Mapcode Global: VHLBC.KXH4
Entry Name: Lilac Cottage
Listing Date: 24 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033261
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279241
Location: Baylham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Baylham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Baylham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 15 SW
A small 3-cell open-hall house of late C14 or early C15, with major
alterations of C17 and later. 1 storey and attics. Timber-framed and
plastered; there are large areas of herringbone pargetting in panels, and over
the entrance is an oval with the incised date 1768 or 1788 (the numbers are
indistinct) and beneath the oval is a pair of hearts. The roof is thatched
but the right-hand half renewed with pantiles. Axial C17/C18 chimney of red
brick, repaired in mid C20. To right of entrance is a small-pane casement of
c.1800 with a hinged boarded shutter. Various other C19 and C20 casements.
Boarded entrance door of c.1800. An unusually early example of a modest
medieval house. The central open truss in the hall is depleted, but has
near-straight square-section arch-braces rising to the stump of the tie-beam.
At the right-hand end, the closed truss rose only to eaves level, allowing
smoke into the loft above the right-hand cell. The other closed truss in the
hall rose to the ridge. Both end cells have lodged 1st floor joists. The
studwork is widely spaced, with arch-bracing at corners. A large chimney was
inserted into the hall in C17, the roof was rebuilt and the upper floor built
over the hall. Intermediate studding was introduced to the external walls.
In C18/C19 a second flue was added to the stack and the adjacent closed truss
almost destroyed. A fire in mid C20 destroyed part of the roof, which was
formerly hipped at the right.
Listing NGR: TM1051251607
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings