This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6937 / 52°41'37"N
Longitude: -2.5225 / 2°31'20"W
OS Eastings: 364785
OS Northings: 310792
OS Grid: SJ647107
Mapcode National: GBR BT.3CQY
Mapcode Global: WH9D2.7K2B
Entry Name: Mile Post South South East of Wrekin Hospital
Listing Date: 8 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033320
English Heritage Legacy ID: 362429
Location: Wellington, Telford and Wrekin, TF1
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Wellington
Built-Up Area: Telford
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Wellington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WELLINGTON HOLYHEAD ROAD
5362 Mile Post south-south-east
of Wrekin Hospital
SJ 61SW 27/672
Circa 1815-19. Cast iron with splayed sides and top inscribed in relief:-
London 140, Shifnal, Salop 10 m 8 fur. In 1815 the Holyhead Road Commission authorized Thomas Telford to improve the Holyhead Road from London. The
period of improvement was 1815-35 but this section from Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton was constructed before 1819 by Henry Williams, contractor.
The cast iron post was probably made by the Coalbrookdale Company as were
others q.v. Watling Street, Wrockwardine and Watling Street, Wellington.
Listing NGR: SJ6478510791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings