This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8856 / 50°53'8"N
Longitude: -0.9708 / 0°58'14"W
OS Eastings: 472493
OS Northings: 110072
OS Grid: SU724100
Mapcode National: GBR CDM.FD4
Mapcode Global: FRA 86VR.PM6
Entry Name: Autumn House and Woodlands
Listing Date: 9 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471786
Location: Rowlands Castle, East Hampshire, Hampshire, PO9
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Rowlands Castle
Built-Up Area: Rowlands Castle
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Rowlands Castle St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 71 SW ROWLANDS CASTLE MANOR LODGE ROAD
1067/9/10006 Autumn House Woodlands
Rectory, now two private houses. Circa 1838, remodelled circa mid C19. Flint with buff-coloured brick dressings. Slate roof with gabled ends, those to west with ornate bargeboards. Brick axial and gable-end stacks with grouped polygonal shafts. PLAN: 2-room plan front range to east [Autumn House] with central entrance, and wing to west, the west end of which is now separate house [Woodlands]. Tudor Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 3-bay SE front, the windows and central doorway disposed to the right; sash windows with margin panes, ground floor right with arched glazing bars, chamfered brick openings with hoodmoulds, central entrance with large canted brick porch with 4-centred arch and deep moulded cornice. 4-bay SW elevation, gabled to left and right, the right with large stuccoed canted bay window with margin pane sashes and moulded cornice, the left with large stone 2-storey canted bay with 4-centred arch lights, smaller gable to left of centre and recess to right of centre with C20 conservatory. INTERIOR: Drawing room and dining room of Autumn House linked by ornate Gothic stone arches with pierced spandrels, either side of chimney stack, which has back-to-back fireplaces, each with stone chimneypiece with frieze of shields. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices and panelled window shutters. NOTE: This was the rectory of St John the Baptist Church, which was built in 1838, to the designs of Jacob or T.E. Owen, and remodelled in 1853.
Listing NGR: SU7290612257
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings