This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7597 / 51°45'35"N
Longitude: -2.2666 / 2°15'59"W
OS Eastings: 381695
OS Northings: 206815
OS Grid: SO816068
Mapcode National: GBR 0KZ.PR9
Mapcode Global: VH94X.N1LB
Plus Code: 9C3VQP5M+V9
Entry Name: Standish Hospital
Listing Date: 9 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033357
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471792
Location: Standish, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Standish
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Standish St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 80 NW STANDISH
1771/7/10014 Standish Hospital
Former country house, now a hospital. c1830, built as part of Lord Sherborne's estate. Rendered brick with plain 1st floor cill band. Tiled, hipped roof with dormers and slab chimney stacks with pots; eaves cornice and blocking course. 2 stories, basement and attics. Symmetrical entrance front of 3 windows with slightly recessed entrance bay; service wing of right of 3 windows, the central ones on both floors being blind. Recessed, hornless sashes, those to the outer bays of the house being architraved; ground floor right is tripartite. Greek Doric pedimented portico to the entrance. Interior: retains the original stair and some original features. History: the house stands on elevated ground with fine specimen trees and shrubs. It was occupied as a family residence by Richard Potter, father of Beatrice who, with her husband Sidney Webb, was one of the founders of the Fabian Society. In 1914 the house became Standish Red Cross Hospital for sick and wounded soldiers. Following the war it served as a TB sanatorium, its purchase by the County & City of Gloucester being partly funded by the Gloucestershire Branch and Joint Council of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John as a permanent memorial of the war work.
Listing NGR: SO8169506815
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings