This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5444 / 53°32'39"N
Longitude: -1.4927 / 1°29'33"W
OS Eastings: 433716
OS Northings: 405425
OS Grid: SE337054
Mapcode National: GBR LW0G.N5
Mapcode Global: WHDCX.15HM
Entry Name: Church of St Edward
Listing Date: 14 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033368
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471839
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Kingstone
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barnsley St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 30 NW BARNSLEY PARK ROAD, Kingstone
1014/3/10015 CHURCH OF ST EDWARD
Parish church, 1900-02. Designed by Goodwin S Packer of Southport, and paid for by Edward G Lancaster of Keresforth Hall. Nave with aisles and porches, crossing tower with transepts and chancel. Gothic Revival style. Coursed dressed stone with ashlar bands and dressings. Vellenhellie slates with ashlar coped gables, kneelers and finials. Chamfered plinth. West end has outer and inner buttresses flanking 5-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery. Nave has 5 pairs of 2-light Y-tracery pointed arch clerestory windows with linked hoods and buttresses between. Aisles have 4 pairs of lancets with linked hoods and buttresses between. To west gabled porches on both sides with pointed triple arch doorways and double plank doors with ornate hinges. Transepts each have 2 tall lancet windows with Y-tracery and buttresses between. Crossing tower has 3 lancet bell openings to each face with small gabled buttresses between, and above an open arcaded parapet. Corner buttresses rise to form small corner towers with pyramidal ashlar roofs. Central pyramidal slate roof with leaded cap and cross finial. Chancel has single 2-light pointed arch side windows and a single 5-light east window with reticulated tracery, flanked by tall deep buttresses. INTERIOR has 5 bay pointed arched nave arcades with polished marble columns. Boarded roofs with exposed roof trusses. East wall lined in English alabaster with triple arched alabaster reredos made by Harry Hems & Sons of Exeter. Original wooden pews and choir stalls. Fine ornately carved octagonal alabaster pulpit supported on 4 polished marble columns, and similar octagonal alabaster font both carved by Norbury Patterson & Co. Good quality contemporary stained glass windows throughout. The foundation stone was laid on 5th October 1900, and the dedication took place on 13th November 1902.
Listing NGR: SE3371605425
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings