History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Tattingstone Wonder

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tattingstone, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9838 / 51°59'1"N

Longitude: 1.1137 / 1°6'49"E

OS Eastings: 613913

OS Northings: 236282

OS Grid: TM139362

Mapcode National: GBR TNM.LD3

Mapcode Global: VHLC5.8D4K

Plus Code: 9F33X4M7+GF

Entry Name: The Tattingstone Wonder

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278896

Location: Tattingstone, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Tattingstone

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Tattingstone St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bentley

Description

TM 13 NW TATTINGSTONE THE WONDER
4/121

22.2.55 The Tattingstone Wonder

GV II*

Folly church, masking a dwelling (originally 3 cottages). Converted into its
present folly form from an older building circa 1790, by Thomas White of
Tattingstone Place, as cut on a chimney brick with initials T.W. originally
timber framed, the north face, east gabled return and west tower resemble the
nave and tower of a church and are flint faced with gault brick rusticated quoins
and dressings, red plain tiled roof continues through to rear and south of the 3
sided mock tower. Rear chimney stack. Dentilled eaves cornice. Plinth. North
face:- 2 two-light windows, 2-centred heads, rusticated 2-centred arches with
keystones over. There is a similar window of 3 lights with tracery over to the
east face with a circular, square-leaded window above. The 3 faces of the mock
tower have crow stepped crenellations with a gault band under. Stepped
buttresses to angles. Blocked 2-centre arched "Belfry" windows to all faces,
western face has similar windows to 1st and 2nd stages, that to first stage with
leaded lights. Western ground floor window of 3 lights similar to eastern
window. Rear wall, brick, gault dentilled eaves and quoins, 3 first floor
2-light leaded casements, 3 nailed vertically boarded doors and 2 windows to
ground floor. The north, "Church" face can be seen from Tattingstone Place and
forms part of the landscaped park. The tradition is that Squire White said:-
"People often wondered at nothing, so he would give them something to wonder
about." P G M Dickinson. The Little Guides, Suffolk 1957. White's
Suffolk - 1844.


Listing NGR: TM1391336282

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.