This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9587 / 51°57'31"N
Longitude: 1.0215 / 1°1'17"E
OS Eastings: 607698
OS Northings: 233220
OS Grid: TM076332
Mapcode National: GBR TNW.134
Mapcode Global: VHKFV.N1DB
Entry Name: Millers House and Cottage
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Last Amended: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278718
Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: East Bergholt
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 07 SE EAST BERGHOLT FLATFORD
3/10 Millers House and Cottage
(Formerly listed with
22.2.55 Flatford Mill)
Millers house and cottage, now Field Studies Centre. C17 origins, altered C18 and
later. Possibly timber-framed, cased in red brick, mainly in Flemish bond but
central section in English bond. Plain tiles. 2 storeys and attic. West front:
Millers house to left, cottage to right. Millers house of 3 bays, the 3rd bay being
in English bond. 2 cross casements under segmental gauged arches, French windows
to right. First floor band. Iron tie ends. Cross casements above. Wooden eaves
cornice. Hipped dormers with C20 windows. Ridge stack, further stack to ridge
right contains brick dated 1619 but this stack has been rebuilt since painting by
John constble of 1812 showing stack in alternative position. Cottage: central
staircase projection under pent roof contains door. Casement window under segmental
arch to left. First floor band. Iron tie ends. Stepped and dentilled eaves.
Small flat-roofed dormer. End ridge stack. East front: Millers House has 2-storey
staircase extension in angle with mill of late C18 - early C19 date with a wooden
doorcase of Gibbs surround with fanned keyblock and pediment. 12-pane sash in flush
architrave under flat gauged brick arch and C20 cross casement under segmental arch.
Plinth to part. 4-course first floor band. C20 window above. Wood eaves cornice.
Cottage has plank door under segmental arch and wide cambered arch to left, partly
blocked, containing later window. C20 window above. Stepped and dentilled eaves.
Interior of house: staircase hall with cut-string stair with carved tread ends,
stick balusters, slender column newels and ramped handrail. Domed light above.
Early C19 fireplaces. One transverse beam with run-out chamfer stops. Flatford
Mill came into the possession of the Constable family in the mid C18. This house
may have been the birthplace of John Constable as records appear to show that the
family house in the village centre was not built until 1779 (Jennings). The latter
was sold after the death of Golding Constable, father of John, in the early C19 and
Abram and Mary, John's brother and sister, returned to this house. The Grade I
status reflects its significance in the life and work of John Constable. Leased
by the National Trust to the Field Studies Council.
Jennings, C., John Constable in Constable Country, 1976.
Listing NGR: TM0769833220
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings