This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4289 / 51°25'44"N
Longitude: -1.8591 / 1°51'32"W
OS Eastings: 409889
OS Northings: 169997
OS Grid: SU098699
Mapcode National: GBR 3VK.BT1
Mapcode Global: VHB44.QBJY
Entry Name: Avebury Manor
Listing Date: 27 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1033785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311450
Location: Avebury, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Avebury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 07 and
SE 06 NE
11/30 Avebury Manor
Manor house. c1557, 1601, c1730, and c1907. Rendered sarsen and
limestone. Stone tiled roofs. One, 2 and 3 storeys. East front
of c1557, for William Dunch, auditor of Royal mint. Four bays, 2
storeys and attic, adjoined on south by major rebuild or extension
of 1601 for Sir James Mervyn. This returns to form new main front
to south. Further west wing added to complete 'U' courtyard. Main
south block contains single storey hall with cross passage at west
end, remodelled c1730 for Sir Richard Holford, Master in Chancery
(owner 1696-1742). The south block is of 5 bays, 2 storeys, with
central porch with round arch on fluted pilasters and tall shaped
gable containing niche and initials M J D 1601, all rebuilt c1907.
Either side 4-light stone-mullioned and twice transomed windows,
and 3-light single transomed windows to first floor. Parapet
raised c1730. To right, a forward wing with similar glazing and
parapet. Earlier east wing is of 2 gabled bays, extended to north
by further 2 bays. Timber leaded windows and one canted bay
window. West library wing c1907 has 3-light stone-mullioned and
transomed windows and raised pedimented doorcase over a flight of
Interior: Entrance now from east, to cross passage with C16 room
to right, a panelled parlour with angled fireplace and chamfered
ceiling beams. To left a stair, and in south wing, the Great
Parlour, C17 panelling, stone fireplace of c1600 with arcaded
frieze on end brackets and moulded shelf. Moulded plaster ceiling.
In main south block, the former hall, remodelled as. Dining Room in
early C18. Moulded dentilled cornice, corner panelled doors in
eared architraves and dentilled pediments. Similar eared fire
surround in stone with framed overmantel, pedimented with
supporting scrolls. Beyond cross passage the library, now tea-
room, with bolection panelling and heavy marble fire-surround. On
upper floor of south wing the Elizabethan Bedroom with early C17
panelling, plaster ceiling and robust fireplace c1600 with
gadrooned surround, arabesque frieze and carved wood overmantel.
Also, other C17 panelled rooms and Queen Anne Bedroom with ceiling
coved to guilloche and dentilled raised central section. Staircase
to first floor C18 has 3 turned balusters per tread. Rails to
attic stair C17 with turned balusters. Attic rooms have gable
stack with chamfered fireplace and side opening, and reset C17
panelling as cupboards. The house is on or near the site of a
Benedictine cell of St Georges de Boscherville, founded in 1114 and
allocated to Fotheringhay College in 1411, fragments of which have
been built into the present fabric. Much restoration work carried
out by Sir Walter Jenner, owner from 1907, Alexander Keiller, the
antiquary and others.
(Ailesbury: Guide to Avebury Manor; Country Life, May 7 1921; R.
Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957, 82-85; Pevsner, Wiltshire 102;
C.L. Tipping W.A.M. LI, 440)
Listing NGR: SU0988569995
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings