History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade I Listed Building in Bromham, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3857 / 51°23'8"N

Longitude: -2.0544 / 2°3'15"W

OS Eastings: 396309

OS Northings: 165188

OS Grid: ST963651

Mapcode National: GBR 2TK.3DF

Mapcode Global: VHB47.BFRK

Plus Code: 9C3V9WPW+76

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1033887

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311176

ID on this website: 101033887

Location: St Nicholas's Church, Bromham, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bromham

Built-Up Area: Bromham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bromham, Chittoe and Sandy Lane

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


(west side)

Church of St Nicholas

Anglican Parish Church, C12 origins, C13, C14 and C15 with chancel
rebuilt 1865 by W. Slater. Ashlar and ironstone rubble with stone
slate roofs. C13 crossing tower with C15 bell-stage and recessed
spire, nave with C12 fragments in north wall, C14 south arcade and
C15 fenestration, south aisle and 2-storey south porch rebuilt in
ashlar in early C18. C13 chancel rebuilt 1865 but reusing shafted
east window. C13 south transept rebuilt 1492 as part of the
exceptionally ornate south east chapel built for Sir R. Tocotes and
Sir R. Beauchamp. Exterior: Nave is rubble stone with 5-light
Perpendicular west window, north side C15 battlements and 2 large
flat-headed C15 three-light windows. Tower has north side ashlar
vestry, probably 1843 by G.P. Manners. Rubble stone tower with
north stair tower, ashlar C15 bell-stage with 2-light openings,
battlements, corner pinnacles and recessed spire. Chancel is
ashlar, dated 1865, three north side lancets, three east end
lancets. South east chapel is ashlar, exceptionally ornamented
with large 5-light windows, carved stops to hoodmoulds, carved
angels at window heads, moulded plinth, buttresses with buttress-
shafts and pinnacles, cornice with gargoyles, carved shields and
bosses, richly panelled battlements and ornamented pinnacles over
buttresses. East window has canopied niche over. Three-window
south side has broader left bay as this is the remodelled C13 south
transept. In right bay, fine ogee headed small doorway. Ashlar
south aisle has one large 5-light Perpendicular-style window to
right of porch and 2-light to left. Plinth, cornice and
battlements. Projecting 2-storey porch with similar detail, 2-
light upper window and tall pointed arched doorway with reset 1641
plaque over. Outside stairs on west side to fielded-panelled first
floor door. Eroded C18 wall memorial. Rubble stone west end with
2-light Perpendicular window.
Interior: fan-vaulted canopy over door in porch, Tudor-arched
doorway. C14 south arcade of 4 bays with octagonal piers and
moulded arches. C15 low pitched roof with arched braces from
carved head corbels. Similar corbels in south aisle but flat
ceiling. C13 two hollow-moulded arches under tower, C15 small
north side plank door. Former south transept has 1492 tierceron
vault with curious centre pendant, and Perpendicular arch to 2-bay
south east chapel, ornamented with fleurons. In chapel, two
similar north arches to chancel. Two canopied niches, one on south
wall, one on east. Exceptional panelled and painted roof with
moulded beams, shields in panels and arched braces each side from 6
carved corbels. C15 renewed wooden screens to west and north
arches. Chancel has 1865 shafted north windows and elaborate
shafted five-arch east wall, renewed 1865, two small pointed arches
flanking 3 arches framing east windows. 1865 stencil decoration.
Furnishings: 1843 stone pulpit by G.P. Manners, octagonal font
with pendants. Stone 3-panel carved reredos 1910. Glass: one
south east window has c1492 glass in traceried head. Fine c1870
east window by Burne Jones for Morris & Co., west window signed
W.H. Constable 1879, to T. Moore, the poet. East window of south
east chapel c1885. Monuments: Exceptional series in south east
chapel including tomb-chest of Sir R. Tocotes died 1457 with
alabaster effigy, north east tomb chest with fan-vaulted canopy and
kneeling brass image to Elizabeth Beauchamp c1492, south east tomb
chest with canopy and mixed Renaissance and Gothic detail, to Sir
Edward Baynton died 1593. Brass to John Baynton (died 1516). East
arcade with plain plaques to various Bayntons and Baynton-Starkys
from C17 to C20. Under tower incised C17 plaques to Mary and
Ferdinando Hughes, one with skeleton and shroud. North side
memorial to J. Banks died 1772. Nave north wall has 2 large C19
Gothic memorials to the Gaby family of Westbrook and early C17
plaques to E. Richardes and M. Seagar. South aisle fine marble
memorial to Sir W. Norris of Nonsuch, died 1730, and draped plaque
signed Ford of Bath to J. Andrews, died 1763.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 148-9)

Listing NGR: ST9632065184

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.