This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4331 / 51°25'59"N
Longitude: -1.5423 / 1°32'32"W
OS Eastings: 431911
OS Northings: 170550
OS Grid: SU319705
Mapcode National: GBR 6ZZ.0WZ
Mapcode Global: VHC1S.67ZR
Plus Code: 9C3WCFM5+63
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310572
ID on this website: 101034139
Location: St Mary's Church, Chilton Foliat, Wiltshire, RG17
Civil Parish: Chilton Foliat
Built-Up Area: Chilton Foliat
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Tagged with: Church building
SU 37 SW CHILTON FOLIAT A.419
5/112 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. c1300, early C14 and C19. Flint with Bath
stone dressings. North nave wall, tower and chancel rendered.
Stone tile roof with slate to nave. Nave, South Aisle and porch.
Chancel, west tower and vestry. Nave has one 2-light window on
north of mid C13. Remainder 3-light Perpendicular. South aisle C19
2-light and chancel with C19 south side lancet and 2-light
Decorated window and priest's door. On north side, c1320 2-light
window and east window C19. Tower with west door c1320-50 and C19
window over. Tower of 3 stages, probably C13, with paired lancets
to bell stage and reset billet hoods. Crenellated parapet and
small crocketed pinnacles. South porch C19 with mean side seats.
Interior: Nave of 5 bays, with wagon roof of early C17, on
panelled wall posts and brackets to short hammerbeams, restored
C19. Western gallery of 1845 carried through over south aisle and
supporting organ. Chancel arch Cl9 with fossil marble shafts.
Chancel has panelled 3-bay roof. South Aisle of 1845, by Benjamin
Ferrey, with 4 bay arcade on round columns towards nave, possibly
replacement of similar earlier arcade. Fittings: Nave refurbished
1845, including pulpit with direct access from vestry only, and
reading desks. Chancel screen C16 with fluted pilasters and open
lights with Gothic tracery, repaired C19. Sanctuary panelling,
riddel posts and marble paving all of 1929. Font in south aisle
octagonal with carved scenes, by Reverend Thomas Mayrick, mid C19.
Monuments: In chancel, wall tomb, C13, of knight, cross-legged
with shield and sword, said to be Sir Sampson Foliat, c1250.
Numerous marble wall tablets; WILLIAM LEYBORNE, 1790, tablet
surmounted by shield with putti and cornucopiae, bearing eulogy.
ANNE LAYBORNE LEYBORNE, undated by Gaffin of London. DOROTHY
LEYBORNE POPHAM, 1830, by Gaffin. General E. W. L. POPHAM, draped
urns over tablet in black marble niche by Ternouth of Pimlico.
FRANCIS LEYBORNE POPHAM, 1880 by Lloyd of Bedwyn. FRANCIS POPHAM,
1839, hand severing a lily, by Ternouth. FRANCIS HUGH LEYBORNE
POPHAM, a child of 6 months on cushion, by E. L. Popham. EDWARD
POPHAM DD. Arms on pyramid over tablet. Colonel WILLIAM KELLY,
Panel with urn over, painted arms below. FRANCIS WILLIAM LEYBOURNE
POPHAM, cast brass tablet with arms over and Reverend WALTER HENRY
POPHAM, 1945. Also 2 Popham brasses of 1900 and 1910. In the
nave, 2 tablets, Sir WILLIAM HENRY COOPER, wife and child, 1835 by
Hopper of London, and ROGER SPANSWICK of Suly and his wife 1809.
Grecian. In the aisle: LOVELACE BIGG and family, 1724, an aedicule
in variagated marbles, pilasters and arms in segmental pediment.
BULSTRODE WHITLOCKE and daughter, 1737. Plain tablet with putto
under. Hatchments fixed to nave roof, of Popham and Cooper
families. Brass to Reverend ROBERT COLLARD, 1598-1648. Under west
end of nave, 3 benefaction boards, 1769 (1 Acre and fireengine),
1770 (Endowment of charity school), and 1669 and 1796, (Gift of
chalices and paten). Furniture: C16 splay sided chest, said to be
Spanish. C17 panelled chest in South Aisle. Reference: Pevsner,
[(Buildings of England: Wiltshire).
Listing NGR: SU3191170550
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings