This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4219 / 51°25'18"N
Longitude: -1.7293 / 1°43'45"W
OS Eastings: 418919
OS Northings: 169244
OS Grid: SU189692
Mapcode National: GBR 4X2.TW6
Mapcode Global: VHB46.ZJ4B
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 July 1949
Last Amended: 21 October 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310251
Location: Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Marlborough
Built-Up Area: Marlborough
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
694/1/60 PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
(Formerly listed as:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY)
Founded 1160 (probably on site of earlier church mentioned in 1091). From this period remain 1 doorway in West tower (1 order of zig-zag, 1 order of collonnettes, taking more zig-zag voussoirs, 1 cable-moulded hood and imposts), and West respond of North arcade (fat half-column with scalloped capital), remainder of which was destroyed by fire of 1653.
West tower C15, ashlar, with crenellated parapet, mullioned windows with hood
moulds, weather vane and clocks. Outside walls to nave and two aisles C15, ashlar, but interior was destroyed in fire of 1653 and rebuilt amalgamating nave and North aisle. 6 bays of windows with Perpendicular tracery, buttresses, and South porch.
North wall heightened in 1653 to bring it up to nave level. South arcade also built in 1653 with 5 round arches on large circular piers with necking, spirally scallopped capital, and drop finials at 4 corners of square abaci. This arcade, the most remarkable feature of the church, bears some resemblance to contemporary church building in the Netherlands.
Chancel added in 1874 by Street.
Listing NGR: SU1893769248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings