This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8827 / 50°52'57"N
Longitude: -0.8902 / 0°53'24"W
OS Eastings: 478168
OS Northings: 109836
OS Grid: SU781098
Mapcode National: GBR CDQ.HS3
Mapcode Global: FRA 960R.YVJ
Entry Name: Lordington House
Listing Date: 5 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 301289
Location: Stoughton, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Stoughton
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Octagon
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SO 70 NE STOUGHTON RACTON
11/306 Lordington House
Large house. The remaining part of a house of 1623, possibly built on the foundations of an earlier house of c1500 which belonged to the De La Pole family and in which Cardinal De La Pole was born. Some Tudor brickwork remains in the external walls but the house is otherwise of 1623 with C18 roof and window openings, 1845 kitchen wing and was extensively remodelled in 1895 by Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby who demolished part of the building and it was refenestrated and the main door replaced in the mid C20 by Geoffrey Jellicoe. Built of flint with red brick quoins and window dressings, some C16 and C17, hipped tiled roof and brick chimneystacks. Two storeys attics and part basement with four windows and two dormers facing south and three windows and two dormers facing east. L-shaped building. Ogee-shaped dormers added in 1895. Twelve pane sashes are mid C20 replacements, as is Queen Anne style doorcase with curved hood in south wall of long range. Brick stringcourse. The principal internal feature is the main staircase constructed c1895 with C19 newel posts but reusing early C17 components which may have been salvaged from the demolished wing. These comprise five carved finials of heraldic beasts and monsters sitting upright and holding shields, a lion, a dragon, a bear, a unicorn with a crown and chain and a griffin. The heavy handrail is moulded and closed below by single pierced carvings of scroll ornament, swags of fruit and drapeJ:y which have been positioned upside-down. The topmost panel is a cherub which was originally designed to be set at an angle. The Drawing Room oak panelling is of early C18 style with inbuilt alcoves but is probably of c1895. There are some late C19 marble bolection moulded fireplaces and a mahogany water closet. The roof is C18 with collar beam, staggered purlins and pegged rafters. The cellars contain a C17 chamfered beam. There is a servants staircase of c1845. A drawing of 1791 shows Lordington House before the south wing was demolished. [See Pevsner BOE Sussex p312. VCH Sussex Vol IV pp 113-114.Lordington House" by the Rev F H Arnold. ]
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State
Dated; 8 November 1996
M A M REDMOND
Department of National Heritage
Listing NGR: SU7816809836
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings