This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.5223 / 55°31'20"N
Longitude: -1.7106 / 1°42'38"W
OS Eastings: 418371
OS Northings: 625432
OS Grid: NU183254
Mapcode National: GBR J4HL.G7
Mapcode Global: WHC0Z.PGND
Entry Name: Preston Tower (Old)
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034424
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409582
Location: Ellingham, Northumberland, NE67
Civil Parish: Ellingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ellingham St Maurice
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 12 NE
11/161 Preston Tower
Part of tower house. C14 restored 1864 by Henry Robert Baker Cresswell.
Squared stone with Welsh slate roof. The remains include the south wall and
2 southern corner turrets of a larger hall-type tower house with 4 towers (cf.
Haughton Castle and Langley Castle). The rear wall is of 1864.
3 storeys. Chamfered plinth. Recessed centre flanked by projecting turrets.
In the centre a boarded door in C16, or C17 chamfered surround. 2 slit windows
with chamfered surrounds above door. 4 similar windows in turret to left, 3 in
turret to right. On 2nd floor in centre, a large clock with ceramic face
inscribed H R B C for the restorer. Embattled parapet. Higher turrets have rounded
corbels below parapets.
On left return a blocked, low, narrow C14 doorway with pointed arch and chamfered
To rear, similar clock face dated 1864.
Interior: springing of ground-floor vault visible. The turrets have pointed
tunnel-vaulted chambers on each floor. Also in turrets 3 C16 or C17 fireplaces
with chamfered surrounds; one has a lintel, with keystone. Many mason's marks.
C14 doorways into turret rooms have pointed arches and chamfered surrounds.
Listing NGR: NU1837125432
Other nearby listed buildings