This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6053 / 52°36'19"N
Longitude: -1.5773 / 1°34'38"W
OS Eastings: 428720
OS Northings: 300918
OS Grid: SK287009
Mapcode National: GBR 5H8.Q1G
Mapcode Global: WHCH5.RS22
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034716
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309266
Location: Grendon, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV9
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Grendon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Grendon
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
Church of All Saints
Church. C12 origins, chancel rebuilt early C13; clerestory added C15, north aisle and arcade mid C13; early C14 south aisle and arcade, nave clerestory has C15 north and C16/C17 south windows, south porch is dated 1820, tower added by R.C Hussey 1845.
Sandstone, mostly regular coursed but with ashlar tower. Chancel has lower parts of rubble. Low-pitched lead roofs are largely hidden by parapets with moulded cornices and copings. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Three bay chancel, three bay nave. Chancel has buttresses of two offsets.Three-light east window has late C19 geometrical tracery.
North side has two buttresses. Two chamfered C13 lancers have moulded sill course and string course above. Large round-arched three-light western window has Perpendicular tracery. Two-bay clerestory has double-chamfered two-light mullioned windows. South side has buttress with scratched sundial. Moulded doorway has hood mould with head stops and C19 plank door. Blocked central lancet, and fragments of eastern lancet. Blocked large straight-headed eastern window has small buttress below, three-light western window has largely renewed reticulated tracery. Blocked central clerestory window.
Nave clerestory has straight-headed windows of two ogee lights. Decorated style south aisle. Porch is rendered. Slate roof has concave stone-coped gable parapet with datestone. C20 double-leaf doors in plain arch, return sides have three blind lancets.
Inside is a C14 doorway of two continuous moulded orders, the outer with ball mouldings; C19 door. Aisle has moulded plinth. Angle and two south buttresses of two offsets, mostly with trefoiled gablets to first stage. Splay sill course. Tracery is largely renewed throughout. Four-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery with hood mould, head stops and fleuron. Two-light south windows have reticulated tracery. Cornice has ball flower frieze. Large west window bias had its tracery removed, probably tiff. North aisle has four buttresses, of two offsets to east and west. Three-light east window has reticulated tracery. Moulded C13 north-west doorway has hood mould and plank door, C19 straight-headed north windows of two ogee lights. Rendered straight-headed two-light Perpendicular west window.
Tower is Gothic Revival Perpendicular style, but still in the Georgian pre-archaeological tradition with inaccurate details, three stages with moulded string courses, splay and moulded plinth and moulded sill course. Full-height angle buttresses have gablets to
offsets. Moulded low west and south doorways have hood moulds with lion masks and studded panelled doors. North side has three-light straight-headed window. Two-light windows on each side have hood moulds with head stops. Band of two widely-spaced mouldings between stages. Low second stage has narrow lancet to each side. High third stage has two-light openings with hood moulds and louvres to bell chamber. Blank moulded circles above, with clock face to south. Deeply coved cornice has crow-stepped embattled parapet above, arid octagonal pinnacles with moulded cornices and finials.
Interior is almost wholly plastered. Chancel, nave and south aisle have very shallow pitched, almost flat, plaster roofs with moulded ribs and foliage bosses, probably of c.1845. Chancel has mid//late C19 stone south arch to Chetwynd chapel of two moulded orders on Early English style columnettes with foliage corbels and outer segmental pointed arch; the east jamb has a squint with detached shaft. Early C14 chancel arch of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous, the inner with responds and moulded capitals. Nave has north arcade of two chamfered orders with octagonal piers and east respond, and moulded bases and capitals with nailhead ornament. Taller and wider Decorated style south arcade of two sunk quadrant orders, quatrefoil piers with fillets, and moulded capitals. North aisle has lean-to roof.
Fittings: Commandment boards have panelled surrounds, possibly C18, with Ionic capitals and flaming urns. Late C17 altar rails have twisted balusters, a carved frieze and terminal figures. Early/mid C17 pulpit with elaborate arcaded and carved decoration. Simple C15 octagonal font. C18 marble font with oval basin.
Nave west pew, said to have been the Mayor's Pew, from the Church of St. Mary, Stafford, is inscribed RICHARO DRAKEFORO STEPHEN WINKLE CHURCHWARDENS ANNO DOMINI 1618. Carved and ornamented three bay arcade with openwork volutes and Ionic pilasters, and plain and carved panels. South side has scrolled half-door. It is enclosed within C19/C20 Tudor-arched frame supporting the organ, with piece of C18 Rococo panelling, possibly re-used from the reredos. Five-bay screen of c.1680 c. 650 to the south chapel of the Chetwynd family has moulded and ornamented arches with panelled Corinthian piers and winged head spandrels and above, two trumpeting angels, a large cartouche of arms and flaming urns. C19 stalls.
Stained glass: east window 1861, Chetwynd chapel east window has heraldic glass, probably early C19 but with earlier fragments.
Monuments: mid C15 alabaster effigy of a lady and incised effigy slab of Margaret Chetwynd 1539 in chancel. A large collection of good quality monuments and many hatchments to the Chetwynd family include in the chapel a large tablet with balusters, shields and painted decoration, and inscriptions to John 1593, and Margaret. Wall monuments with cartouches, panels and varying ornament, and inscriptions to Walter 1673, Frances 1673, and William 1676, in chancel and chapel. Life-size statue of a mourning woman and an urn, signed Robert Taylor, in a chancel recess has inscription to Mary 1750. Architectural tablets include those in Frances 1686, Sir George 1850 but in C17 style, Nicholas Penny 1707 and Nicholas and Francis Penny, late C18.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp300.301; VCH Warwickshire: Vol IV,
Listing NGR: SK2872000918
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings