This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.459 / 52°27'32"N
Longitude: -1.6617 / 1°39'42"W
OS Eastings: 423084
OS Northings: 284616
OS Grid: SP230846
Mapcode National: GBR 5JX.SV0
Mapcode Global: VHBWP.4GW8
Plus Code: 9C4WF85Q+J8
Entry Name: Packington Old Hall with Walls Adjoining on East and West Sides, Courtyard Wall Adjoining at Rear, and Attached Outbuildings
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 23 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308985
Location: Great Packington, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV7
Civil Parish: Great Packington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Meriden St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
GREAT PACKINGTON PACKINGTON PARK
8/80 Packington Old Hall with walls
11/11/52 adjoining on E and W sides,
courtyard wall adjoining at
rear,and attached outbuildings
(Formerly listed under
Packington Old Hall with
courtyard wall, pigeonhouse
and venison house)
House. 1679, possibly incorporating part of C16 timber-framed house. c.1700
alterations to the front elevation. Red brick, Flemish bond on sandstone plinth.
Roofs of 2 parallel and adjoining gabled ranges; plain-tiled. Ridge stack having
pilaster strips to the sides, and side and end stacks. Lobby-entry plan. 2
storeys and attic. Principal front to the south west in 5 bays framed by
rusticated quoins of brick and having moulded stone eaves cornice. 2 large
c.1700 dormers of red brick with stone dressings to the pediments. They flank
the off-centre porch of 3 storeys. The third storey of the porch is also of
c.1700 and has a segmental pediment of sandstone and Ionic pilasters at the
corners. The ground and first stages of the porch have rusticated quoins. 4
steps lead up to doorway in flat arch with raised keyblock. Pedimented doorcase
with recessed panels to flanking pilasters. Door of 2 bolection moulded panels.
Fenestration of cross-frame casements with later glazing. Splayed and cyma
moulded transoms and mullions under flat gauged brick arches. End and rear walls
have openings in elliptical arches and original rainwater heads, dated, and
downpipes. The rear wall has 4 gables. Adjoining on the north, late C17
courtyard walls and stables, now outbuildings. Red brick, and plain-tiled.
North-east and south-west walls adjoining the front of the house are of red
brick with some burnt brick headers on sandstone base, with shaped stone coping.
The walls are ramped at the ends where they meet the house and the piers have
ball finials of stone, restored. The walls are pierced by oval stone peep-holes.
Interior: Open-well and closed-string staircase with symmetrical twisted
balusters and square newels with shaped rail. Painted on the wall opposite is a
dado of similar balusters, rail and newel. Some framing possibly from the C16
visible internally. One ground floor room has ceiling with intersecting ceiling
beams with plaster bolection moulded panels to the soffits. There is a fireplace
of grey stone, abutting the inglenook to a former kitchen on the north-east.
Another ground floor room has an early C18 corner fireplace with shouldered
stone surround and plaster cornice with egg and dart and modillion mouldings. At
first floor the principal chamber has a garland frieze of 1680 and the room over
the porch a wreath tied with a big ribbon. Built for Sir Clement Fisher 1679-80.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p298; VCH: Warwickshire, Vol IV; Marcus
Binney: Country Life, CXLVIII: p102, 266)
Listing NGR: SP2308484616
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings