This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4534 / 52°27'12"N
Longitude: -1.3584 / 1°21'30"W
OS Eastings: 443695
OS Northings: 284136
OS Grid: SP436841
Mapcode National: GBR 7N4.5CW
Mapcode Global: VHCT9.DLQK
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308898
Location: Withybrook, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV7
Civil Parish: Withybrook
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Withybrook All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
7/32 Church of All Saints
Church. Rebuilt C14. Late C15 tower, clerestory and chapel. Also in late C15
chancel partly rebuilt and aisles widened. Restored 1821 and 1890. Regular
coursed grey sandstone. Roofs of lead to aisles, artificial slate to nave,
plain-tiles to chancel and porch. Coped gable parapets throughout, except porch.
Aisled nave, chancel, north chapel, north-west tower, south porch. Perpendicular
style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splay plinth. South-east diagonal
buttress. Buttresses are mostly of 2 offsets throughout. Large renewed 5-light
east window has moulded stops. Hood moulds throughout. Gable has remains of
small carved head. Gable parapet has weatherings and cross finial. South
buttress. Small chamfered doorway has hood mould and C19 plank door.
Double-chamfered eastern window has C19 tracery of 3 lancets and piercings.
3-light western window has moulded stops. South porch of one storey and attic.
Moulded and chamfered doorway has renewed jambs. Double-chamfered square opening
above. Straight-headed east and west windows of 2 ogee lights. Moulded segmental
pointed doorway inside. Ancient door has blind tracery panels and some carving.
Aisle has splay and hollow-chamfered plinth. Slender east and west buttresses of
3 offsets rise into trefoiled gableted pinnacles. 3-light east window.
Basket-arched 3-light south-east window. 2-light south-west window has head
stops. Nave has south-west diagonal buttress. 3-bay south, and 2-bay north,
clerestory has windows similar to porch. Hollow-chamfered cornice, Large 3-light
west window has renewed curvilinear tracery. C19 square stack with octagonal
shaft in north-east corner. North aisle and chapel in one. Splay plinth and
diagonal buttress of 2 offsets. 3-light east window has deep splayed jambs.
North side has 4 buttresses. Eastern bay has no window. Three 3-light windows.
Short north-west tower has hollow-chamfered plinth. North-west diagonal buttress
of 3 offsets. South-west buttress merges with stair projection. West doorway of
2 chamfered orders has C19 plank door with decorative ironwork. Splayed course
above. 2-light west window above. Door and window have hood mould with return
stops. Bell openings of paired trefoiled lancets to each side, recessed under
straight head to north, east and south. Moulded cornice and parapet. Interior
has arches and arcades throughout of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers or
half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals, and continuous outer order.
Chancel has remains of C15 Easter sepulchre in north wall, discovered in 1848.
Damaged moulded Perpendicular arch and base with blind arcading. Recess has
remains of 3 carved figures, including a central angel, and traces of stencilled
decoration. C19 boarded barrel chancel roof. Chancel arch has lower half of
north respond missing; upper part has trefoiled lancet recess. Nave has renewed
Perpendicular roof, but retaining old moulded east and west tie-beans. 2-bay
north and 3-bay south arcades. South arcade has heads between each arch; western
pier has band of rosettes and fleurons. North chapel, now vestry, has moulded
half-octagonal corbel brackets in eastern angles, with remains of canopy to
north. Chapel and aisle have lean-to roof with some old timbers. Chamfered tower
doorway has studded plank door. South-west wall of tower has stone inscribed
"CRISTOFER WATKIN PHILIP HARTLEY CHURCH WARDENS AND DOM 1632". South aisle has
trefoiled ogee piscina. Renewed lean-to roof. Fittings: font, possibly late C12,
has round basin, moulded foot and square base. Late C17 altar rails with C19
turned balusters. C18 half-hexagonal wood pulpit has fielded panels with shaped
tops. C18 chest. C19 encaustic tiles; pews and stalls. Chapel screen made up of
panels, possibly from box pews. Stained glass: C15 fragments in south aisle east
window. Monuments: north chapel: Sir Christopher Wright, 1602. Chest tomb has 2
inscription panels with festoons and incised slab, and armorial back panel.
Chancel south wall: Thomas Arnold, 1781. Oval plaque with architectural
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.267-268; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.475; J.A. Cossins: Excursion to Monks Kirby, Withybrook etc., in Transactions
of Birmingham Archaeological Society, 1914, Vol.40, pp.46-49 National Monuments
Listing NGR: SP4369584136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.