This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5055 / 52°30'19"N
Longitude: -1.3976 / 1°23'51"W
OS Eastings: 440984
OS Northings: 289906
OS Grid: SP409899
Mapcode National: GBR 7MB.TQM
Mapcode Global: VHBWM.Q9H3
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034891
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308874
Location: Burton Hastings, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV11
Civil Parish: Burton Hastings
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Burton Hastings St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
BURTON HASTINGS MILL LANE
SP48NW (North side)
4/8 Church of St. Botolph
Church. C14 chancel and parts of tower. Early C16 nave. Tower rebuilt C16.
Restored c.1867. C19/C20 porch. Coursed squared sandstone, with chancel east
wall and tower of ashlar. Plain-tile roofs; chancel and north side of nave have
moulded cornice and parapet, and cross finial; tower and south side of nave have
moulded embattled parapets and cornices. Chancel, nave, west tower and south
porch. Mostly Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Splayed and
moulded plinths throughout. Chancel and nave have diagonal east buttresses of 2
offsets. Chancel has C19 three-light east window; old hood mould has remains of
stops. North side has straight-headed 2-light window with trefoiled lights and
sunk spandrels. Similar south-west single light. Straight-headed 2-light
south-east window has reticulated tracery. South porch has ashlar base and upper
part of timber, with Tudor-arch entrance and traceried openings. Simple moulded
doorway inside has C19 double-leaf doors. Slate sundial dated 1867 above porch.
3-light south-east and north-east windows have mullions, lancets and tracery.
South buttress. North side has traces of blocked door. North-west buttress.
Tower of 2 stages, with splay course between. High first stage has diagonal west
buttresses of 4 offsets. Restored 3-light west window has deep splayed jambs and
hood mould. Second stage has 2-light openings with simple tracery. Pinnacles.
Interior: chancel has small south-east piscina. East wall has small aumbry in
north corner. C19 boarded barrel roof has moulded segmental arched braces,
moulded ridge, purlins and ribs, carved bosses, half-octagonal wall posts and
stone shield corbels. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer segmental
pointed, the inner with half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Nave has
splayed north-east angle with renewed moulded Tudor arch doorway and plank door
to former rood-loft stair, and similar doorway above and to right. Simple
broad-chamfered Tudor arch to tower. C19 Perpendicular roof. Fittings: font of
c.1300, but partly renewed, is octagonal with blind trefoiled arcading, rosettes
and fleurs-de-lys, on round base. C19 lid. Chancel arch has hooks for Lentern
veil. Remains of painted Royal arms below tower. Charities board dated 1819
above blocked north door. Old iron bound chest. Pulpit dated 1920.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.59-6l; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.222; National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SP4098489906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.