This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3832 / 52°22'59"N
Longitude: -1.3356 / 1°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 445317
OS Northings: 276338
OS Grid: SP453763
Mapcode National: GBR 7NY.K48
Mapcode Global: VHCTP.SCSC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034904
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308804
Location: Church Lawford, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Church Lawford
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Church Lawford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Church Road (south side)
Church of St. Peter
Church. C13 and C14 origins. Rebuilt 1872 by W. Slater and R.H. Carpenter,
largely at the expense of the Duke of Buccleuch. Rock-faced limestone ashlar,
with ashlar plinth, quoins, buttresses and dressings. Nave and chancel have
plain-tile roofs with ridge cresting; low-pitched porch and aisle lean-to roofs
of lead; moulded coped gable parapets with kneelers throughout. Aisled nave,
chancel, west tower, north porch and south organ chamber/vestry. Gothic Revival
Decorated style. 2-bay chancel, 5-bay nave. Chancel has double-splayed plinth
and diagonal buttresses of one offset. 5-light east window has bar tracery and
hood mould with head stops. North side has 3-light window. Reticulated tracery
and hood moulds with foliage or grotesque stops throughout. 2 lancets, possibly
restored mediaeval work, of red sandstone have deep splayed reveals; chamfered
straight-headed low-side window below western lancet. South side has 3-light
window. Porch has doorway of 3 moulded orders with nook-shafts, foliage stops
and ribbed double-leaf doors. Moulded straight-headed traceried 2-light windows.
Continuous moulded doorway and double-leaf doors inside. Aisles have 2-light
window and cinqfoiled west lancets. Clerestory has straight-headed 3-light
windows. Vestry has 2-light east window. Moulded south doorway has ribbed door
and hood mould. Straight-headed traceried window. South aisle has blocked early
C13 round-arched doorway. Tower of 3 stages has angle buttresses with
weatherings, and moulded string courses. West doorway and window within large
moulded arch. Ribbed double-leaf doors in moulded arch. Elaborately carved
spandrels have foliage and shields with date. 3 panels above have shields. Large
3-light window. Second stage has clock-face to north and west. Trefoiled north
and south lancets. Third stage has 2-light bell-chamber openings. Corbel table
and moulded embattled parapet. Square north-east stair turret has octagonal
upper part rising above parapet. Small west door. Interior of chancel has
rendered walls. Re-used piscina. East window has nook-shafts and hood mould.
4-bay boarded barrel roof has moulded arched braces and tie beams, and stone
shield corbels. 2-bay arcade to organ chamber of 2 moulded orders with round
pier and moulded half-octagon corbels. Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders, the
inner with moulded half-octagon corbels. Nave has 3 bays of C14 north arcade: 2
chamfered orders and octagonal piers of alternating bands of red and cream
sandstone. Carved heads to springings and east and west corbels. Trefoiled ogee
piscina beneath east corbel. South arcade has more elaborate capitals and no
banding. Clerestory has sill course. Tower arch has continuous outer order and
inner half-octagonal responds, and 3 outer segmental-pointed chamfered orders.
West window and doorway similar to exterior. Fragments of medieval tracery in
south wall. South aisle has arch of 2 orders to organ chamber. Fittings: chancel
has seat below south window of re-used panelling dated 1618. C17 octagonal
pulpit. Simple C14 moulded octagonal font. C17/C18 communion rail of
column-on-vase balusters. C19 stalls and pews. C19 oil lamps on wall brackets.
Painted arms of George III. Stained glass: east window 1887; chancel south 1884
by Kempe; other late C19 and early C20 glass.
Monuments: south aisle doorway:grave slab has inscription to Thomas Evans 1612. Tower has fragments of 2 medieval coffin lids.
The church cost 5,000 pounds.
V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.148
Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.231-232
Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, p.121
Listing NGR: SP4531776338
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings