This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3141 / 52°18'50"N
Longitude: -1.3673 / 1°22'2"W
OS Eastings: 443230
OS Northings: 268633
OS Grid: SP432686
Mapcode National: GBR 7PP.WP9
Mapcode Global: VHCV2.831B
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308648
Location: Birdingbury, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Birdingbury
Built-Up Area: Birdingbury
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Birdingbury St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
BIRDINGBURY FRANKTON ROAD
SP46NW (East side)
5/7 Church of St. Leonard
Church. Mid/late C18. Enlarged, altered and gothicised 1873. Limestone ashlar
with plinth, and sill course and moulded cornice to north and south sides. Apse
of rock-faced, regular coursed stone with ashlar dressings. Tile roof has coped
gable parapets with moulded kneelers, and ridge cresting; cupola has lead roof.
Apse, nave and chancel partly in one, narthex and west cupola. Classical and
Gothic Revival styles. 3 bays, with one-bay apse. Classical west front of yellow
stone has 4 Tuscan pilasters and pediment surmounted by cupola. Moulded fielded
6-panelled door in moulded stone architrave with cornice. Cupola has
round-arched bell openings and finial with weathervane. Polygonal apse of 1873
has splayed plinth and sill course. 2-light windows have simple plate tracery
with continuous hood mould. Hipped roof has metal finial. North and south sides
have 2-light chancel window with plate tracery and hood mould. Paired lancets
with continous hood moulds. Narthex has small lancets, with small single light
below on north side. Interior: Early English style chancel has triple shafts and
stiff leaf sill frieze to apse. Elaborately painted rib vault has Christ in
Majesty, angels, and patterns. Piscina and sedilia have trefoiled round arches
and granite shafts. Apse arch of 2 moulded orders, the outer with shafts, the
inner with colonnettes and stiff leaf and head capitals. Outer part of chancel
has stiff leaf frieze. Windows throughout have attached shafts. Painted panelled
deep coved and barrel vaulted roof has roof truss on colonnettes forming chancel
arch. Nave has panelled crown post roof. West wall has 3 arches with gallery in
upper part. Round arched double-leaf 6-panelled doors. Gallery fronts have 2
fielded panels and dentil cornice. Fittings: C18 stone font has baluster stem
with gadrooned base and leaf-moulded bowl. C18 octagonal pulpit has marquetry
and dentil cornice. Fielded panelled box pews. Screen, lectern, chancel stalls
and altar rails of 1873. C18 carved and gilded royal arms panel on gallery. The
rebuilding was at the expense of the Reverend R. Hickman.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, 1892, p.38; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
p.96; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, p.38).
Listing NGR: SP4323068633
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings