This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2811 / 52°16'51"N
Longitude: -1.5875 / 1°35'15"W
OS Eastings: 428237
OS Northings: 264851
OS Grid: SP282648
Mapcode National: GBR 5M4.TQZ
Mapcode Global: VHBXH.FXLP
Entry Name: 1, High Street
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 19 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307465
Location: Warwick, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34
Civil Parish: Warwick
Built-Up Area: Warwick
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Warwick St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1781 HIGH STREET
(formerly listed as
SP 2864 NW 1/52 10.1.53.
On corner of High Street and Castle Street. Good example of late C17 Baroque.
Rainwater head inscribed SWM 1696. 3 storey building with painted brickwork
and stone dressings. 2 storey Doric pilasters, architrave and frieze to
quoins only. Continuous moulded wood cornice at eaves with egg-and-tongue
enrichment and heavy carved modillions. Sashes in cased frames with keyblocks.
Hipped roof of old tiles. 3 window facade to High Street has central window
eaved surround with moulded architrave, carved console brackets and broken
segmental pediment and Neo-Georgian shopfront with cast iron balustrade
over. 7 window facade to Castle Street is of similar design, but central
feature is enriched with laurel leaf and has triangular pediment. Early
C19 doorcase with 8-fielded-panelled door and fanlight on left hand side,
Doric pilasters. Ground floor of Castle Street elevation is channelled.
Balcony to High Street rests on consoles.
All the listed buildings in High Street (South Side) form a group.
Listing NGR: SP2823764850
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings