History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Great Cheverell, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2879 / 51°17'16"N

Longitude: -2.0291 / 2°1'44"W

OS Eastings: 398064

OS Northings: 154308

OS Grid: ST980543

Mapcode National: GBR 2VR.3T6

Mapcode Global: VHB4M.SW4K

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1035786

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311917

Location: Cheverell Magna, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Cheverell Magna

Built-Up Area: Great Cheverell

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

ST 95 SE
(south side)
5/13 Church of St Peter
Anglican parish church. Cll, C13, C14-C15, and restored 1868 by
W.H. Woodman of Reading. Limestone ashlar, greensand burr
foundation to tower, chancel of malmstone and flint. Stone tiled
roof. Nave with south porch, chancel with C19 north vestry, north
chapel, and west tower. Chancel probably Cll, herringbone walling,
with inserted C13 lancets, one each side, a low side C14 window and
C19 three-light east window. South priest's door blocked. Nave
late C14-early C15 square headed windows of 3 lights. South porch
added, probably early C15, has angle buttresses and 4-centred outer
doorway. C14 west tower, possibly incorporating earlier work,
limestone with flint panels, a tall lower stage and raised in C15
with bell stage with 2-light openings and octagonal stair tower
rising above crenellated parapet. Windvane. Three-light west
window, restored and asymmetrical small door below.
Interior: C15 porch has high side sills and late C14 inner door
with pointed arch. Trussed rafter roof with knee braces and curved
ashlars. Remains of stoup. Door also probably C15, cross boarded
with clenched studs. Lock of C18. Nave rendered and colourwashed
in C19. C15-C16 barrel vault with moulded wall plates and ribs and
stretchers dividing plaster panels. Carved bosses at
intersections. Tower arch double hollow chamfered. Chancel arch
C19, Bath stone, of same width as chancel and inner attached shafts
and capitals. C14 two-bay arcade to south chapel, with wave
moulded pier with pig-nosed inner moulding on attached shafts and
caps. North chapel has excellent low pitched roof divided into
square panels with moulded timbers having leaf carvings at
intersections, those to west end altered in restoration of 1699.
Chancel has 3-bay steeply pitched C19 open rafter roof on stone
corbels. Moulded string course across east end, and C14 trefoiled
piscina with asymmetrical lobed sink. Moulded corbel on north
side, and low sepulchre or tomb recess. Ceiling painted at west
end C17. Fittings: Font, C13 octagonal with simple trefoiled
arches, on round base and column. Pulpit, C20 with linenfold
panels. Pews, C19. Altar, a C17 table with 2 x 1 arches with
pendants, on triple columns. Furniture: C17 parish chest in chapel
with linenfold panels, and a smaller C18 chest. Monuments: In
nave, south wall, 3 wall tablets. From east, (a) white marble on
black painted wood, to Rev. Robert Atkinson, died 1873. (b) Inset
white marble square, to Sir James Stonehouse, rector, died 1795,
and (c) white marble on slate, to Sir Alexander Barnett, curate,
died 1857. In chancel, white marble tablet with cornice, urn over
and ball finial on ends, low table and apron, to Walter Post,
rector, died 1772 and predeceased members of family. South side:
Framed limestone tablet, divided vertically, to Mary Hayes, died
1720, Elizabeth Hayes, died 1726 and Rev. John Hayes, died 1731.
In north chapel, a fine wall monument in limestone and veined
marble. Raised inscribed tablet with draped baldacchino over,
flanking flute columns carrying arched cornice, coloured and
mantled arms over and flaming torches at ends; below, a gadrooned
table supported on brackets and relief sprays of foliage on apron:
to James Townsend, died 1730, and Katherine his wife, died 1737.
Also in chapel, a draped shield tablet of marble on a shaped grey
marble field, to Ann Long, died 1792. On external walls of church,
2 wall monuments. On south nave wall C18, limestone, raised panel
with flanking panelled pilasters. Hollow cornice and triangular
gable. Fluted apron on bracket. Unidentified. On east wall of
porch, a limestone tablet, C18, a slab with beaded arris and
inscription in lined panel. Moulded cornice over. Unidentified
dedication, date of death 175-. Also a lightly incised inscription
on south nave wall, with arched head, to John Applegath, and Mary,
died 1717 and 1718. Church clock reputed to be of 1629.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England, Wiltshire; VCH.x)

Listing NGR: ST9806254309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.