This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.287 / 51°17'13"N
Longitude: -1.9802 / 1°58'48"W
OS Eastings: 401474
OS Northings: 154202
OS Grid: SU014542
Mapcode National: GBR 2VT.B4Q
Mapcode Global: VHB4N.MXH9
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035851
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312075
Location: Market Lavington, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Market Lavington
Built-Up Area: Market Lavington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
MARKET LAVINGTON PARSONAGE LANE
12/170 No 11 (The Old House)
Manor house. Early C14, C16, remodelled late C17-early C18 and
restored 1875. Roughcasted stonework with some brick, originally
with some timber framing. Tiled roofs. Two storeys, 2 ½ bays with
cross wing at south-west end, rebuilt as double range wing.
Entrance within gabled porch of 1875 in angle with extended wing.
Timber ovolo moulded C20 windows with diamond pattern leaded
glazing. The eastern range has two added further wings to east
with a secondary entrance on north side. Numerous gables.
Interior: The house contains an early medieval double aisled open
hall structure with contemporary cross wing of 2 bays within a
rectangular plan of stone walls. Half bay at north-east end
probably contained cross passage, and services possibly in a
separate structure beyond, now absent. Spere truss against passage
and central truss of hall has large archbraces springing from outer
walls to cambered collar between square set arcade plates. Crown
post above with steep straight braces to upper collar and collar
purlin. Trenches for former louvre near apex of rafters. Wall
posts to stone wall dividing wing from hall. Roof over hall smoke
blackened. Similar crown post truss to centre of wing. Fireplace,
probably C16, inserted into cross passage, stone, with 4-centred
arch and rounded arris. Secondary stair at side. Main stair in
extension of wing forward, late C17-early C18, with turned
balusters and heavy handrail, swept up at newels. Main drawing
room in north-west corner, formerly the wing, has C17 oak panelling
and cornice, the ceiling divided by deep chamfered cross beams.
Gable stacks. Centre dining room within former hall, has main
fireplace, described above, and early C18 panelled dado. Room
behind stack now kitchen. Chamber over dining room has bolection
moulded fireplace in stone. Some C17 iron casement windows to
first floor windows, with quadrant stays and turnbuckles. The only
known aisled hall in the county.
(Report by RCHM December 1972)
Listing NGR: SU0146954204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings