This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3118 / 51°18'42"N
Longitude: -1.95 / 1°56'59"W
OS Eastings: 403583
OS Northings: 156962
OS Grid: SU035569
Mapcode National: GBR 3WS.RSS
Mapcode Global: VHB4P.49Z7
Entry Name: Urchfont Manor
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1035857
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312089
Location: Urchfont, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Urchfont
Built-Up Area: Urchfont
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 05 NW
2/183 Urchfont Manor
Large house, c1680 for Sir William Pynsent, incorporating parts of
a C15 house. Altered c1700 and 1767. Flemish brickwork with stone
quoins and dressings. Two storeys, attics and basement. Clay
tiles replacing limestone slates. Original C15 structure probably
a simple house running east-west now the core of later work.
Parallel range on south added, 7 bays with central entrance.
Further extended c1700, possibly by William Talman (Talman's father
lived at Eastcott, and sold land at Urchfont to Pynsent) by
construction of main saloon/hall on east front, reusing materals to
form balancing wing on north. Lean-to to rear of this east block,
and parallel single storey range at north west corner added
probably mid C18. Principal east front of 7 bays, the central
section in finer brick in lime putty, raised stone quoins and
pediment to attic. Central ovolo moulded door with open segmental
pediment on corinthian columns, and segmental pediment to first
floor window over. Flanking 12-pane sash windows with bolection
moulded architraves and triangular pediments, the lower member
continued as string. Bays 1 and 2 retain cross windows but have
added pediments and pulvinated frieze. Bays 6 and 7 replicate
design after addition of central facade, using reclaimed materials.
Moulded stone windows to basement. Eaves boxed and roof hipped.
South, earlier, elevation of 7 bays, central door moved, probably
to east front, and replaced with window. Cross windows converted
to 12-pane sashes and sills lowered. Basement of stone with
moulded windows. Rear elevation of 4 bays, English bond, with
reserved chamfered cross windows with gauged brick arches and
moulded string. Door C18, bolection moulded, and C19 metal
fanlight added to second bay. Chamfered stone windows to mid C18
Interior: Present hall, in west wing, has large late C15-early C16
stone open fireplace, possibly reset to brick stack. To rear, a
fine late C17 open well stair, twisted balusters, originally
dividing to two symmetrical upper flights, altered C19 to one, and
minor stair added with splat balusters. South front rooms altered
C20, central room has bolection moulded limestone fireplace.
Timber surround with marble slips to east room, 1770-90. Hall, now
dining room, has bolection moulded panelling and cornice, and end
bolection moulded fireplace with painting over. Dado panelling to
stair and some upper rooms. Early C18 dormers removed.
Listing NGR: SU0358356962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings