This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2623 / 51°15'44"N
Longitude: -2.1826 / 2°10'57"W
OS Eastings: 387356
OS Northings: 151475
OS Grid: ST873514
Mapcode National: GBR 1TF.T58
Mapcode Global: VH979.4J0P
Entry Name: 1 and 3, Maristow Street
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036299
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313132
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Westbury
Built-Up Area: Westbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Westbury
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WESTBURY MARISTOW STREET
Nos I and 3
as No 3)
ST 8751 SW 4/33 29.12.50.
C18 early. 2 storeys, attic and cellar, colourwashed brick, projecting plinth,
moulded stone string just below 1st floor cill level, chamfered stone quoins,
moulded stone eaves cornice, moulded stone surrounds to all windows. All
stone painted. Old tile roof. 2 dormer windows with architrave surrounds,
lead mats. Glazing bar sash windows. 3 windows on 1st floor, 1 window
to right hand on ground floor and central 9-panelled door (the 3 centre panels
glazed with C20 early leaded coloured glass) under painted stone porch, half
an elipse on plan, with 2 slender Doric columns and pilasters on wall face
all with moulded caps and bases on plinths, supporting entablature - architrave,
plain frieze and moulded cornice with lead flat over. 3 moulded stone steps.
No 1 is an extension of slightly later date but similar design to left hand
with old tile roof hipped to left hand. One window on 1st floor. Late C19
shop on ground floor under extensions and left hand bay of main house; recessed
central entrance, continuous fascia, cornice and brackets. With No 5 and
probably No 7 formerly the town residence of the Lopes (Lords of the Manor
1810-1904). Nos 3 and 5 have been oddly divided to allow a 1st floor extension
of 1 window above former coach arch to left of No 5 (of under No 5). Blocked
early to mid C18 window to rear where early C19 staircase now runs.
Listing NGR: ST8735651475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings