This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1823 / 51°10'56"N
Longitude: -2.1081 / 2°6'28"W
OS Eastings: 392543
OS Northings: 142564
OS Grid: ST925425
Mapcode National: GBR 2WT.V5C
Mapcode Global: VH97Q.DKX1
Entry Name: Chancel End House
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Last Amended: 1 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1036373
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313317
Location: Heytesbury, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Heytesbury
Built-Up Area: Heytesbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Heytesbury with Tytherington and Knook St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
HEYTESBURY TYTHERINGTON LANE
ST 92 SW
9/96 Chancel End House
(formerly listed as Chancel)
Detached house. Early C18. Brick; headers to front, Flemish bond
to returns and English bond to rear, chamfered rusticated quoins,
hipped tiled roof, brick stacks. Gable end to road. Two storey,
3-windowed; sashes. Central door with 6 fielded panels and Adam-
style fanlight in semi-circular head, open pediment on carved stone
consoles, plate glass sash either side with dropped keystones to
flat arches. First floor has two 12-pane sashes and 2-light
casement to right, all with louvred shutters and flat arches with
dropped keystones. Left return has good 6-panelled door with egg-
and-dart moulded panels, Adam-style fanlight and similar pediment
as front door, 2-light casement to first floor. Rear has 4-pane
wide sash to ground floor and 2-light casements to first floor.
Attached to right return is mid C19 two storey extension English
garden wall bond brick, half-glazed door and segmental-headed
casements with keystones.
Interior ground floor front has particularly good 6-panelled doors
with egg-and-dart moulding in finely moulded architraves with
enriched bead and reel mouldings, central stairs with stick
balusters, wreathed, ramped handrail and carved cheeks. Rear has
doors with 2 fielded panels and planked door to cellar.
Said to have been built by the Snelgrove family.
Listing NGR: ST9254342564
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings